From: Erwan Velu <erwan@enovance.com>
To: Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de>
Cc: "fio@vger.kernel.org" <fio@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>
Subject: Re: 2.1.2 released
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:26:25 +0200	[thread overview]

On 07/08/2013 13:14, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

[...]
> I tested the version from the erwan/next branch and the --iops option
> works now and if I don't provide it I get a proper error. Although
> when I provide a nonsense option like "--fnsofno" I get the error
> "Error: One of the option passed to the cmdline was supported". That
> is probably supposed to say "was not supported".
This is now fixed in my branch.... silly typo.

> The graphing seems to have issues too. I attached a job file and the
> graphs generated using "./fio2gnuplot.py -d t -g -i". As you can see
> in the compare-2Draw graph I get multiple lines for the test4k and
> test8k jobs but not for the test16k job and in the compare-2Dtrend
> graph I get strange loops for the same two out of three jobs. The 3D
> graph looks strange too and shows "disks" which doesn't really apply
> in this particular case.
Waow... I ran this test on my local setup with fio 2.1.2 and this
doesn't occurs.... I do have the 3 lines perfectly printed.
That's maybe a gnuplot effect.
Can you provide the version of gnuplot you use and the log files ?
I'm running 4.6 patchlevel 1

> Lastly the tool does output a lot of things by default which are
> probably not useful to 99.9% of the people out there.
This is now fixed in my branch.

> I think the default should be to only output the 2Draw and the 3D
> graph and delete the data files (mygraph, mymath, etc.) and allow the
> user to keep these files and create the additional graphs using
> command line options.
Fixed in my branch. Default is to kill temp files if gnuplot success
unless keep them. If user ask to keep them using -k option, let's always
keep them.
That shall solve your issue.

> In fact in the case of multiple input files it would probably be best
> to only end up with the compate-2Draw graph as the graphs for the
> individual jobs are pretty much redundant in that case.
That really depends on people's usage. Some could be interested at
publishing the compare-* graphs but need to understand some traces if
weird effects occurs. I did develop all thoses graphs with a "pick the
one you need" approach.

Yes I do plot too much but this avoids having too much options to pass
to the tool. People have just to pick the one they need.