From: Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@windriver.com>
To: "Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com>
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: My stuff is missing from rootfs
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 09:29:54 -0500	[thread overview]

On 8/15/13 7:20 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Mark Hatle
>>
>> A simple way to diagnose if your package is even in the
>> install list is to do
>> bitbake -e <image>, then scan the output for
>> "PACKAGE_INSTALL".  If your package
>> is not listed there, then something has either cleared your
>> configuration or you
>> have a typo.
>>
>> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " my_package" should work, and
>> generally won't be cleared
>> by a recipe.
>
> It's there, and it's all working now. I've had things break in odd ways
> before, and recover when I rebuilt. This time it took a couple of tries.
>
> What makes it frustrating is that I'm building on a wimpy Atom system.
> I've been on the verge of buying a killer system just to do builds, but I
> keep thinking, maybe I'll only need to do this another dozen or so times
> and then I'll be done, in which case it wouldn't be a good investment.
>
>> (Note you should modify IMAGE_INSTALL, which is transformed
>> by the system into
>> PACKAGE_INSTALL... modifying PACKAGE_INSTALL can lead to problems.)
>
> I don't think that all the various ways to append stuff will ever make
> sense to me. Currently, I'm using IMAGE_INSTALL += "..." in my top level
> recipe, and it works. I don't know what IMAGE_INSTALL_append does
> differently.

Difference between IMAGE_INSTALL += and IMAGE_INSTALL_append is when the process
happens.

IMAGE_INSTALL += happens immediately, and if something later in the resolution
does "IMAGE_INSTALL = " then you can lose the value.

IMAGE_INSTALL_append happens at the very end of variable resolution.. i.e.:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " mypkg"
IMAGE_INSTALL = "foo"
IMAGE_INSTALL += "bar"
IMAGE_INSTALL = "foobar"

Your end result will be "foobar mypkg"...

(USUALLY the '=' in the example above actually indicates a bug of some kind..
but it does happen.)

--Mark