On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:24:11 +0900, Namhyung Kim said: > Probably a dumb question :). > What prevents the kprobes from being built as a module? We want to use > the kprobes on our systems, but some guys worried about potential > security problems. So it'd be great if we can enable/load kprobes as > needed and then disable/unload after using it. Is it a possible senario? Any troublemaker who has the ability to set a kprobe would probably also have theability to just re-load the module before setting the kprobe (unless you go to a *lot* of trouble to compartmentalize the root user). So it's not clear there's a security benefit from making it a module. If anything, it makes it *worse* because you can then surprise a sysadmin who *thought* they were running a KPROBES=n kernel by loading a module and turning it on...