On 2013-12-12 01:56, Laurent Pinchart wrote: > Hi Tomi, > > On Thursday 12 December 2013 00:13:01 Laurent Pinchart wrote: >> On Wednesday 04 December 2013 14:28:33 Tomi Valkeinen wrote: >>> To avoid the need for a "nickname" property for each display, change >>> the display registration so that the display's alias (i.e. "display0" >>> etc) will be used for the dssdev->name if the display driver didn't >>> provide a name. >>> >>> This means that when booting with board files, we will have more >>> descriptive names for displays, like "lcd1", "hdmi". >> >> Where are those names used ? Are they reported to userspace, or limited to >> kernel internal use only ? They are visible via omapdss's sysfs, when using omapfb. They are used for debug prints and by the user for selecting the default display and display modes via kernel cmdline, and when he sets the video pipeline routing. So changing them could be considered breaking the API, but... With omapdrm the sysfs files do not exist, and I think omapdrm doesn't use them (except maybe for some debug prints). >>> With DT we'll only have "display0", etc. But as there are no "nicknames" >>> for things like serials ports either, I hope we will do fine with this >> >> Just a random thought, maybe the aliases node could help here. > > I should have read the next patches before replying, sorry :-) > >> I'm not sure what rules govern its usage. Adding labels to display DT nodes >> could be an option too. Using of_alias_get_id() means that the alias is in the form "nameX" where X is a number. > A label property is still an option. Hmm, what do you mean? Label as in: foo : node { }; Isn't that 'foo' label only visible in DT itself, as a shortcut? Tomi