* About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 10:12 Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2014-01-20 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello,

I am working on revised hummingboard and cubox-i patches.

One issue that has come up is its u-boot support.
There is a new forked u-boot version for these machines, with SPL
support. The way it is supposed to be built differs from the regular
u-boot.imx generation.
Building produces two files, u-boot.img and SPL. The SPL has to be
flashed first, the u-boot.img right after.

The details are here:
http://imx.solid-run.com/wiki/index.php?title=Building_the_kernel_and_u-boot_for_the_CuBox-i_and_the_HummingBoard

Excerpt:
    Flashing SPL -  sudo dd if=SPL of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=2
    Flashing u-boot.img as raw to the micro SD -  sudo dd if=u-boot.img
of=/dev/sdX bs=1K seek=42

I have been thinking about how to adapt this for meta-fsl-arm-extra. I
essentially have to derive my own class from image_types_fsl and provide
a new SDcard generation function. And to do that, I would have to copy &
paste large parts of the existing mx6 sdcard generation command. This is
not exactly clean.

One other detail, which is less important but still present, is that
these machines do _not_ expect the uImage to be outside of the
partitions. They just load the uImage from the first partition by default.

I know mainline u-boot got hummingboard and cubox-i support, but first I
want to use something that has been tested by the machine vendors.
(Plus, I am not sure how stable the current git mainline of u-boot is,
and OE still uses 2013.10).

Suggestions? Comments?

cheers,
   Carlos

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 14:12 ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2014-01-20 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale

On 20-01-2014 08:12, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on revised hummingboard and cubox-i patches.
>
> One issue that has come up is its u-boot support.
> There is a new forked u-boot version for these machines, with SPL
> support. The way it is supposed to be built differs from the regular
> u-boot.imx generation.
> Building produces two files, u-boot.img and SPL. The SPL has to be
> flashed first, the u-boot.img right after.
>
> The details are here:
> http://imx.solid-run.com/wiki/index.php?title=Building_the_kernel_and_u-boot_for_the_CuBox-i_and_the_HummingBoard
>
> Excerpt:
>     Flashing SPL -  sudo dd if=SPL of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=2
>     Flashing u-boot.img as raw to the micro SD -  sudo dd if=u-boot.img
> of=/dev/sdX bs=1K seek=42
>

> I have been thinking about how to adapt this for meta-fsl-arm-extra. I
> essentially have to derive my own class from image_types_fsl and provide
> a new SDcard generation function. And to do that, I would have to copy &
> paste large parts of the existing mx6 sdcard generation command. This is
> not exactly clean.

I think the question here is how "standard" will SPL be for imx. How
many boards has already SPL support *now*?

I think it's something we need to start including, because it's the next
standard, however, we must make both working in parallel (spl and non-spl).

And, I would say, it's better to include the additional source code for
SPL support directly to image_types_fsl instead of derivative it only on
meta-fsl-arm-extra

> One other detail, which is less important but still present, is that
> these machines do _not_ expect the uImage to be outside of the
> partitions. They just load the uImage from the first partition by default.
>
> I know mainline u-boot got hummingboard and cubox-i support, but first I
> want to use something that has been tested by the machine vendors.
> (Plus, I am not sure how stable the current git mainline of u-boot is,
> and OE still uses 2013.10).

Overall I choose u-boot mainline always. It is our default bootloader,
at least in general lines.

The u-boot mainline hummingboard stability can be known with simple
test. And any additional support may be included. It's only a matter of
planing.

2014.01 is about to be released, and u-boot-fslc is about to be update
to that version. And we may thing about backport any accepted patch to
2014.01 if it's planned only to 2014.04.

Conclusion: I think the best is u-boot mainline, even if it need some
rework, it's the best long-term option, in my point of view.

> Suggestions? Comments?

Let's wait for more suggestions.

> cheers,
>    Carlos

Daiane

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 14:41   ` Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2014-01-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini, meta-freescale

On 2014-01-20 15:12, Daiane Angolini wrote:
> I think the question here is how "standard" will SPL be for imx. How
> many boards has already SPL support *now*?
>
> I think it's something we need to start including, because it's the
> next standard, however, we must make both working in parallel (spl and
> non-spl).
>
> And, I would say, it's better to include the additional source code
> for SPL support directly to image_types_fsl instead of derivative it
> only on meta-fsl-arm-extra

True. If more boards start using SPL, then it should become part of the
image_types_fsl class. Also, a flag to disable writing the uImage
outside of the partitions would also be useful (but not essential).

> Overall I choose u-boot mainline always. It is our default bootloader,
> at least in general lines.
>
> The u-boot mainline hummingboard stability can be known with simple
> test. And any additional support may be included. It's only a matter
> of planing.
>
> 2014.01 is about to be released, and u-boot-fslc is about to be update
> to that version. And we may thing about backport any accepted patch to
> 2014.01 if it's planned only to 2014.04.
>
> Conclusion: I think the best is u-boot mainline, even if it need some
> rework, it's the best long-term option, in my point of view.

This means I should wait until 2014.01 is released and added to oe-core
before I submit my cubox-i patches for meta-fsl-arm-extra ?

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 15:00     ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2014-01-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale

On 20-01-2014 12:41, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
> On 2014-01-20 15:12, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>> I think the question here is how "standard" will SPL be for imx. How
>> many boards has already SPL support *now*?
>>
>> I think it's something we need to start including, because it's the
>> next standard, however, we must make both working in parallel (spl and
>> non-spl).
>>
>> And, I would say, it's better to include the additional source code
>> for SPL support directly to image_types_fsl instead of derivative it
>> only on meta-fsl-arm-extra
>
> True. If more boards start using SPL, then it should become part of the
> image_types_fsl class. Also, a flag to disable writing the uImage
> outside of the partitions would also be useful (but not essential).
>

>> Overall I choose u-boot mainline always. It is our default bootloader,
>> at least in general lines.
>>
>> The u-boot mainline hummingboard stability can be known with simple
>> test. And any additional support may be included. It's only a matter
>> of planing.
>>
>> 2014.01 is about to be released, and u-boot-fslc is about to be update
>> to that version. And we may thing about backport any accepted patch to
>> 2014.01 if it's planned only to 2014.04.
>>
>> Conclusion: I think the best is u-boot mainline, even if it need some
>> rework, it's the best long-term option, in my point of view.
>
> This means I should wait until 2014.01 is released and added to oe-core
> before I submit my cubox-i patches for meta-fsl-arm-extra ?

As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow

--
Daiane

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 17:40       ` Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2014-01-20 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini, meta-freescale

On 2014-01-20 16:00, Daiane Angolini wrote:

> As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow

Just had a discussion with developers working on Cubox-I support. They
tried to push MXC SPL support for the CuBox-i upstream, didn't work out
so far. Otavio suggested to use mainline without SPL for now, but I am
skeptical about it. SPL is a very nice feature, it allows me to use the
exact same installation for several Cubox-i machines.

The way I see it, there are two options for me:
1) Use the u-boot fork with MXC SPL support for now, until mainline
supports MXC SPL. Then immediately switch to mainline by applying a
patch to meta-fsl-arm-extra.
2) Use mainline without SPL, and live with the fact that I need a build
for every single CuBox-i machine.

I personally favor (1), especially since it is already fully working for
me. I could send the patches to the mailing list after a little cleanup.
You seem to favor (2), since mainline is usually a better choice than
some odd fork (I agree on this in principle, but in this case, I favor
the fork).

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 19:48         ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2014-01-20 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Carlos Rafael Giani
<dv@pseudoterminal.org> wrote:
> On 2014-01-20 16:00, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>>

>> As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow
>>

> Just had a discussion with developers working on Cubox-I support. They tried
> to push MXC SPL support for the CuBox-i upstream, didn't work out so far.

Have they sent their patch to the U-boot list? If so, care to point me
where these patches are in the list?

I do not recall seeing any patches from them in the U-boot mailing list.

> Otavio suggested to use mainline without SPL for now, but I am skeptical
> about it. SPL is a very nice feature, it allows me to use the exact same
> installation for several Cubox-i machines.
>
> The way I see it, there are two options for me:
> 1) Use the u-boot fork with MXC SPL support for now, until mainline supports
> MXC SPL. Then immediately switch to mainline by applying a patch to
> meta-fsl-arm-extra.
> 2) Use mainline without SPL, and live with the fact that I need a build for
> every single CuBox-i machine.

Or even better:

3) Work on upstreaming mx6 spl support into mainline U-boot

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 19:54         ` John Weber
From: John Weber @ 2014-01-20 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

On 1/20/14 11:40 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
> On 2014-01-20 16:00, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>>
>> As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow
>>

> Just had a discussion with developers working on Cubox-I support. They tried
> to push MXC SPL support for the CuBox-i upstream, didn't work out so far.
> Otavio suggested to use mainline without SPL for now, but I am skeptical about
> it. SPL is a very nice feature, it allows me to use the exact same
> installation for several Cubox-i machines.
>
> The way I see it, there are two options for me:
> 1) Use the u-boot fork with MXC SPL support for now, until mainline supports
> MXC SPL. Then immediately switch to mainline by applying a patch to
> meta-fsl-arm-extra.
> 2) Use mainline without SPL, and live with the fact that I need a build for
> every single CuBox-i machine.
>
> I personally favor (1), especially since it is already fully working for me. I
> could send the patches to the mailing list after a little cleanup. You seem to
> favor (2), since mainline is usually a better choice than some odd fork (I
> agree on this in principle, but in this case, I favor the fork).

Other boards are making use of this.  The guys at Wandboard worked on it so that
they could release a single image for all variants.

Why not add it to the default sdcard creation script and then make it
enabled/disabled either at the machine level or cause it to be automatically
selected by the SPL recipe?

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-20 20:20           ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-01-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Weber; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM, John Weber <rjohnweber@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/20/14 11:40 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
>>
>> On 2014-01-20 16:00, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>>>

>>> As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow
>>>

>> Just had a discussion with developers working on Cubox-I support. They
>> tried to push MXC SPL support for the CuBox-i upstream, didn't work out so
>> far. Otavio suggested to use mainline without SPL for now, but I am
>> skeptical about it. SPL is a very nice feature, it allows me to use the
>> exact same installation for several Cubox-i machines.
>>
>> The way I see it, there are two options for me:
>> 1) Use the u-boot fork with MXC SPL support for now, until mainline
>> supports MXC SPL. Then immediately switch to mainline by applying a patch to
>> meta-fsl-arm-extra.
>> 2) Use mainline without SPL, and live with the fact that I need a build
>> for every single CuBox-i machine.
>>
>> I personally favor (1), especially since it is already fully working for
>> me. I could send the patches to the mailing list after a little cleanup. You
>> seem to favor (2), since mainline is usually a better choice than some odd
>> fork (I agree on this in principle, but in this case, I favor the fork).
>>
> Other boards are making use of this.  The guys at Wandboard worked on it so
> that they could release a single image for all variants.
>
> Why not add it to the default sdcard creation script and then make it
> enabled/disabled either at the machine level or cause it to be automatically
> selected by the SPL recipe?

We can do it as soon U-Boot mailing list is consulted and we decide
how the final layout will be. Will it be two binaries or a single one?

We shouldn't add something here and just drop later; We need to bear
on mind we will have people depending on it.

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-21 13:04           ` Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2014-01-21 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam; +Cc: meta-freescale

On 2014-01-20 20:48, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Carlos Rafael Giani
> <dv@pseudoterminal.org> wrote:
>> On 2014-01-20 16:00, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>>>
>>> As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow
>>>
>> Just had a discussion with developers working on Cubox-I support.
>> They tried
>> to push MXC SPL support for the CuBox-i upstream, didn't work out so
>> far.
> Have they sent their patch to the U-boot list? If so, care to point me
> where these patches are in the list?
>
> I do not recall seeing any patches from them in the U-boot mailing list.

The patches were made by Jon Nettleton. According to him, this
discussion happened offline. Hence no mailing list patches.

>> Otavio suggested to use mainline without SPL for now, but I am skeptical
>> about it. SPL is a very nice feature, it allows me to use the exact same
>> installation for several Cubox-i machines.
>>
>> The way I see it, there are two options for me:
>> 1) Use the u-boot fork with MXC SPL support for now, until mainline
>> supports
>> MXC SPL. Then immediately switch to mainline by applying a patch to
>> meta-fsl-arm-extra.
>> 2) Use mainline without SPL, and live with the fact that I need a
>> build for
>> every single CuBox-i machine.
> Or even better:
>
> 3) Work on upstreaming mx6 spl support into mainline U-boot

He tried just that, and ran into a wall. When he has time, he may be
able to drop in and explain what happened in his own words.
Also, we just discovered that barebox has CuBox-i and HummingBoard
support already. Its design seems to be much nicer and easier to manage.
Has barebox ever been considered a u-boot alternative for meta-fsl-arm ?

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-21 13:22             ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2014-01-21 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani
<dv@pseudoterminal.org> wrote:

> He tried just that, and ran into a wall. When he has time, he may be able to
> drop in and explain what happened in his own words.
> Also, we just discovered that barebox has CuBox-i and HummingBoard support
> already. Its design seems to be much nicer and easier to manage. Has barebox
> ever been considered a u-boot alternative for meta-fsl-arm ?

There are already barebox users in meta-fsl-arm.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* Re: About customizing the image_types_fsl class
@ 2014-01-21 13:28             ` Daiane.Angolini
From: Daiane.Angolini @ 2014-01-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani, Fabio Estevam; +Cc: meta-freescale

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-arm/tree/recipes-bsp/barebox