On 02/05/2014 09:12 AM, Tom Musta wrote: > On 2/5/2014 3:43 AM, Alexander Graf wrote: >> I would've expected the compiler to emit a warning at this point because you're declaring variables outside of the beginning of a scope? > Only if you enforce C89 compilation. But qemu requires a C99 compiler, where it is not a warning in gcc unless you enable -Wjump-misses-init and have a goto statement that bypasses the declaration. > I did not see a warning on either of my test platforms (PowerPC/RHEL/GCC 4.4.7, Intel/Ubuntu/GCC 4.6.3). But I will certainly fix. Whether or not the compiler enforces it, some projects still like to stick to C89 declarations-before-statements, even when otherwise requiring C99 compiler features. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org