From: Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>
To: Andy Rudoff <andy@rudoff.com>, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com>
Cc: lsf-pc <lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	jmoyer <jmoyer@redhat.com>, david <david@fromorbit.com>,
	Chris Mason <clm@fb.com>, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>,
	Bryan E Veal <bryan.e.veal@intel.com>,
	Annie Foong <annie.foong@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] atomic block device
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:29:18 -0800	[thread overview]

Andy Rudoff wrote:
> On the other side of the coin, I remember Dave talking about this
> during our NVM discussion at LSF last year and I got the impression
> the size and number of writes he'd need supported before he could
> really stop using his journaling code was potentially large.  Dave:
> perhaps you can re-state the number of writes and their total size
> that would have to be supported by block level atomics in order for
> them to be worth using by XFS?

If you're dealing with a typical update-in-place database then there's no
upper bound on this, a DB transaction can be arbitrarily large and any partial
write will result in corrupted data structures.

On the other hand, with a multi-version copy-on-write DB (like mine,
http://symas.com/mdb/ ) all you need is a guarantee that all data writes
complete before any metadata is updated.

IMO, catering to the update-in-place approach is an exercise in futility since
it will require significant memory resources on every link in the storage
chain and whatever amount you have available will never be sufficient.

--
   -- Howard Chu