* Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-03 18:01 Volosincu, Andreea S
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-03 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

Greetings,

Yocto Project is pleased to announce the plans for the upcoming Embedded Linux Conferences in NA and Europe.

Here is a snapshot of our schedule:

ELC NA - Wednesday, August 21 - 23, 2019, Hilton San Diego Bayfront, San Diego, CA
                   Yocto Project is a sponsor. We'll see you on the show floor

ELC NA Dev Day - Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
Set-up: 1 Meeting Room - Classroom Seating ( 60 people)
Level: Intermediate - Advanced. Participants will receive beginner material (videos and presentations) as pre-requisites
Includes: Morning Break, Buffet Lunch, Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers

ELCE - Monday, October 28 -30, 2019, Lyon Convention Centre, Lyon, France
              Yocto Project is a sponsor. We'll see you on the show floor

ELCE Yocto Project Summit - Dates & Times:
Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
               November 1, 2019 - 8:00 am - 6:00PM
Set-up:
Day 1: 1 Meeting Room - Theater Seating for 100 for Yocto Project talks
Day 2: 2 Meeting Rooms - Mixed Classroom/Theater seating for 60 & Classroom seating for 40 (for maintainers and users)
Includes:
Morning Break for 2 days
Buffet Lunch for 2 days
Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers for 1 day
The goal for the second day of the summit is to build and bring the community together. We are interested to hear your opinions and ideas on how that day and those rooms should be used for. Please send your ideas to Andreea Volosincu and Philip Balister.

We will call out an Advocacy meeting in a couple of weeks to go over plans and vote on the ideas for the second day of the summit.

Thanks!
Andreea
Yocto Project Advocacy Lead

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-03 18:07 ` akuster
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: akuster @ 2019-05-03 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volosincu, Andreea S, yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

On 5/3/19 11:01 AM, Volosincu, Andreea S wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> Yocto Project is pleased to announce the plans for the upcoming
> Embedded Linux Conferences in NA and Europe.
>

> Here is a snapshot of our schedule:
>

> ELC NA – Wednesday, August 21 - 23, 2019, Hilton San Diego Bayfront,
> San Diego, CA
>
>                    Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the
> show floor
>

> ELC NA Dev Day – Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>
> Set-up: 1 Meeting Room - Classroom Seating ( 60 people)
>
> Level: Intermediate – Advanced. Participants will receive beginner
> material (videos and presentations) as pre-requisites
>
> Includes: Morning Break, Buffet Lunch, Beer & Wine Reception with
> light appetizers

So beer is a prerequisite for Intermediate level?

This is a conflict with Linux Security summit unless someone can
convince me to be part of the training?

- armin

@ 2019-05-03 22:01   ` Volosincu, Andreea S
       [not found]     ` <0980DABF-86C8-4A9D-8687-B9C27EE2FF61@converseincode.com>
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster, yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

Hi Armin,

Thanks for letting us know. The security summit overlaps with a lot of things, including the first ELC day.

Hopefully we can make it work by fine-tuning the agenda in such a way that you attend just the portion of the day that is interesting to you, or you are presenting.

Let's talk more during the advocacy call.

Thanks!
Andreea

[...]

* Re: Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-04 11:50 ` JH
       [not found] ` <954A193F-DC16-4429-BAAD-EE78327C048E@converseincode.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: JH @ 2019-05-04 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volosincu, Andreea S; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

Any planning to have a conference to Melbourne Australia in the near
future? I am keen to help.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

@ 2019-05-05 21:45       ` Volosincu, Andreea S
       [not found]         ` <2D39B7E1-DC52-42A6-8332-50ED49F77722@converseincode.com>
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-05 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

That’s correct. We’ll provide previous beginner material as pre-class homework.

Andreea

[...]

@ 2019-05-06 10:45           ` Josef Holzmayr
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2019-05-06 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

I'd actually word it a little bit differently:

If there is only *ONE* attendee who did not properly do the homework, it
will have a massive impact an the rest of the group. And that somebody
will show up unpreparedly is absolutely certain in my opinion.

As someone who actually got started through the YPDD beginner track (and
also often recommends it to new beginners), my opinion is clearly that
we either should have it, be it only for a handful of attendees, or
offer a *real* replacement, with face to face training. My experience is
that this personal thing in the very beginning is an absolutely
essential part of many YP/OE careers.

Greetz

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 04:46:12PM -0700, Behan Webster wrote:
> Just for the record, speaking as a professional trainer, and someone who makes material available before classes in the hopes that people will do “pre-class homework”, almost nobody even glances through any material sent before class. And many people claim to have never received it (for various reasons, but often because it ends up ignored or in spam).
>
> Essentially I wouldn’t count on anyone actually looking at anything before arriving, because statistically nobody does.
>
> Behan
>
> Sent from my Mobile Computer which is also a phone
>
> > On May 5, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Volosincu, Andreea S <andreea.volosincu@windriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > That’s correct. We’ll provide previous beginner material as pre-class homework.
> >
> > Andreea

———————————————
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
———————————————
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548

Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363

@ 2019-05-06 10:55   ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2019-05-06 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

Howdy!

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 05:07:30PM -0700, Behan Webster wrote:
> If community building is the plan please don’t exclude OpenEmbedded from the name nor the material (in other words, acknowledging which parts are from OpenEmbedded). Part of the community building aspect is going to have to be acknowledging that Yocto Project is an umbrella project made up of other projects, and then celebrating those projects.
>
> The original idea I put forward was to have a joint OpenEmbedded/Yocto project 2-day event to replace the separate ypdd and OEDEM, not merely a larger Yocto project event.
>
> I am personally already seeing a negative reaction to these plans from others, which is IMHO sadly contributing to destroying community instead of building it.
>
> I, personally, would like nothing more than a simpler way to describe the whole thing. However as it stands we essentially have 2 camps that continue to separate instead of coming together. Let’s try and fix that bit first.

Completely agreed. I've personally never understood the (until now,
mostly) friendly mutual heckling, but its a thing we have to cope with
and sort out. The sooner, the better.

> And I surely hope that things other than beer and wine are made available. There are actually a lot of attendees who don’t drink from what I can tell, which was made extremely evident to me in Edinburgh where the non alcoholic options kept on running out and how much alcohol was left at the end of the night. Wine and beer isn’t a draw for everyone anymore.

Another point I'm just stepping up to fully support. We can run out of
booze - its better if we don't but hey, we absolutely must not run out
of water and coffee.

Greetz

PS: Yes, its actually *ME* writing that.

> Thanks,
>
> Behan
>
> Sent from my Mobile Computer which is also a phone
>
> > On May 3, 2019, at 11:01 AM, Volosincu, Andreea S <andreea.volosincu@windriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Yocto Project is pleased to announce the plans for the upcoming Embedded Linux Conferences in NA and Europe.
> >
> > Here is a snapshot of our schedule:
> >
> > ELC NA – Wednesday, August 21 - 23, 2019, Hilton San Diego Bayfront, San Diego, CA
> >                    Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the show floor
> >
> > ELC NA Dev Day – Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
> > Set-up: 1 Meeting Room - Classroom Seating ( 60 people)
> > Level: Intermediate – Advanced. Participants will receive beginner material (videos and presentations) as pre-requisites
> > Includes: Morning Break, Buffet Lunch, Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers
> >
> > ELCE – Monday, October 28 -30, 2019, Lyon Convention Centre, Lyon, France
> >               Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the show floor
> >
> > ELCE Yocto Project Summit – Dates & Times:
> > Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
> >                November 1, 2019 - 8:00 am - 6:00PM
> > Set-up:
> > Day 1: 1 Meeting Room - Theater Seating for 100 for Yocto Project talks
> > Day 2: 2 Meeting Rooms - Mixed Classroom/Theater seating for 60 & Classroom seating for 40 (for maintainers and users)
> > Includes:
> > Morning Break for 2 days
> > Buffet Lunch for 2 days
> > Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers for 1 day
> > The goal for the second day of the summit is to build and bring the community together. We are interested to hear your opinions and ideas on how that day and those rooms should be used for. Please send your ideas to Andreea Volosincu and Philip Balister.
> >
> > We will call out an Advocacy meeting in a couple of weeks to go over plans and vote on the ideas for the second day of the summit.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Andreea
> > Yocto Project Advocacy Lead
> > --

———————————————

@ 2019-05-06 14:14   ` Ta, Lieu
From: Ta, Lieu @ 2019-05-06 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster, Volosincu, Andreea S
  Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy, yocto-ab

Andreea, Philip and I had a pre-planning call and we all agreed that we want to solicit the community for ideas and then finalizing them at an Advocacy meeting. We are doing something different this year.  If you do not want to send ideas to this wide distribution, please don’t hesitate to send them directly to Andreea (Andreea.Volosincu@windriver.com<mailto:Andreea.Volosincu@windriver.com>).

It takes a lot of hard work to plan, promote, and execute these events, especially when the work is all on volunteering basis.  If you can help with the planning please also send Andreea a note.

Again, I would like to remind everyone that the CALL to ACTION is to submit IDEAS for the upcoming events.  My responses to the criticisms are inline below.

Regards,
Lieu Ta
Advisory Board Chair, Yocto Project

If community building is the plan please don’t exclude OpenEmbedded from the name nor the material (in other words, acknowledging which parts are from OpenEmbedded). Part of the community building aspect is going to have to be acknowledging that Yocto Project is an umbrella project made up of other projects, and then celebrating those projects.
[Ta, Lieu] Noted

The original idea I put forward was to have a joint OpenEmbedded/Yocto project 2-day event to replace the separate ypdd and OEDEM, not merely a larger Yocto project event.

I am personally already seeing a negative reaction to these plans from others, which is IMHO sadly contributing to destroying community instead of building it.
[Ta, Lieu] I am personally seeing positive reaction that we’re promoting Yocto Project and Open Embedded..  We can’t please everyone.  If we want to build together, we need to stand together.  Nitpicking and negativity would only crack the foundation we’re building on.

I, personally, would like nothing more than a simpler way to describe the whole thing. However as it stands we essentially have 2 camps that continue to separate instead of coming together. Let’s try and fix that bit first.
[Ta, Lieu] We are two camps if we continue to define ourselves so.

And I surely hope that things other than beer and wine are made available. There are actually a lot of attendees who don’t drink from what I can tell, which was made extremely evident to me in Edinburgh where the non alcoholic options kept on running out and how much alcohol was left at the end of the night. Wine and beer isn’t a draw for everyone anymore.
[Ta, Lieu] While I agree that the wine was not a big winner, beers were excessively appreciated.  The wines were traded in for beers by popular demands.  The beers were practically gone when I left.
However, the idea of adding more soft drinks to the mix, is a good one.

On May 3, 2019, at 11:01 AM, Volosincu, Andreea S <andreea.volosincu@windriver.com<mailto:andreea.volosincu@windriver.com>> wrote:
[...]

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <954A193F-DC16-4429-BAAD-EE78327C048E@converseincode.com>
@ 2019-05-06 15:06 ` Joshua Watt
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Joshua Watt @ 2019-05-06 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volosincu, Andreea S, yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 18:01 +0000, Volosincu, Andreea S wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> Yocto Project is pleased to announce the plans for the upcoming
> Embedded Linux Conferences in NA and Europe.
>

> Here is a snapshot of our schedule:
>

> ELC NA – Wednesday, August 21 - 23, 2019, Hilton San Diego Bayfront,
> San Diego, CA
>
>                    Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the
> show floor
>

> ELC NA Dev Day – Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>
> Set-up: 1 Meeting Room - Classroom Seating ( 60 people)
>
> Level: Intermediate – Advanced. Participants will receive beginner
> material (videos and presentations) as pre-requisites
>
> Includes: Morning Break, Buffet Lunch, Beer & Wine Reception with
> light appetizers

Is there any registration cost for this event, and how does one
register?

> ELCE – Monday, October 28 -30, 2019, Lyon Convention Centre, Lyon,
> France
>               Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the show
> floor
>
> ELCE Yocto Project Summit – Dates & Times:
> Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>
>                November 1, 2019 - 8:00 am - 6:00PM
> Set-up:
> Day 1: 1 Meeting Room - Theater Seating for 100 for Yocto Project
> talks
> Day 2: 2 Meeting Rooms - Mixed Classroom/Theater seating for 60 &
> Classroom seating for 40 (for maintainers and users)
> Includes:
> Morning Break for 2 days
> Buffet Lunch for 2 days
> Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers for 1 day
>
> The goal for the second day of the summit is to build and bring the
> community together. We are interested to hear your opinions and ideas
> on how that day and those rooms should be used for. Please send your
> ideas to Andreea Volosincu and
>  Philip Balister.
>
> We will call out an Advocacy meeting in a couple of weeks to go over
> plans and vote on the ideas for the second day of the summit.
>
> Thanks!
> Andreea
> Yocto Project Advocacy Lead

--
Joshua Watt <JPEWhacker@gmail.com>

* Re: Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-06 15:30   ` Bas Mevissen
From: Bas Mevissen @ 2019-05-06 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, Joshua Watt

On 5/6/19 5:06 PM, Joshua Watt wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 18:01 +0000, Volosincu, Andreea S wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Yocto Project is pleased to announce the plans for the upcoming
>> Embedded Linux Conferences in NA and Europe.
>>
>> Here is a snapshot of our schedule:
>>
>> ELC NA – Wednesday, August 21 - 23, 2019, Hilton San Diego Bayfront,
>> San Diego, CA
>>
>>                    Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the
>> show floor
>>
>> ELC NA Dev Day – Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>>
>> Set-up: 1 Meeting Room - Classroom Seating ( 60 people)
>>
>> Level: Intermediate – Advanced. Participants will receive beginner
>> material (videos and presentations) as pre-requisites
>>
>> Includes: Morning Break, Buffet Lunch, Beer & Wine Reception with
>> light appetizers
>>

> Is there any registration cost for this event, and how does one register?

ELC and ELCE are Linux Foundation organised events. Check their website
for the pricing.

@ 2019-05-06 15:46             ` Bas Mevissen
       [not found]             ` <c3cbc64b-f7ea-f2d3-32ae-7a94b8693713@emcodev.nl>
From: Bas Mevissen @ 2019-05-06 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr, Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

On 5/6/19 12:45 PM, Josef Holzmayr wrote:
> I'd actually word it a little bit differently:
>
> If there is only *ONE* attendee who did not properly do the homework, it
> will have a massive impact an the rest of the group. And that somebody
> will show up unpreparedly is absolutely certain in my opinion.

With sufficient trainers, one can continue for most and provide some
assistance to the one falling behind.

> As someone who actually got started through the YPDD beginner track (and
> also often recommends it to new beginners), my opinion is clearly that
> we either should have it, be it only for a handful of attendees, or
> offer a *real* replacement, with face to face training. My experience is
> that this personal thing in the very beginning is an absolutely
> essential part of many YP/OE careers.

I agree. That is how I started, next to a compressed Linux Foundation
Yocto training that was offered just before the event then.

So it might be wise to ask LF or get something organised. It would
mostly require a room and a sponsor for some small devkit.

> Greetz
>
> On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 04:46:12PM -0700, Behan Webster wrote:
>> Just for the record, speaking as a professional trainer, and someone who makes material available before classes in the hopes that people will do “pre-class homework”, almost nobody even glances through any material sent before class. And many people claim to have never received it (for various reasons, but often because it ends up ignored or in spam).
>>
>> Essentially I wouldn’t count on anyone actually looking at anything before arriving, because statistically nobody does.
>>
>> Behan
>>
>> Sent from my Mobile Computer which is also a phone
>>
>>> On May 5, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Volosincu, Andreea S <andreea.volosincu@windriver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That’s correct. We’ll provide previous beginner material as pre-class homework.
>>>
>>> Andreea

Bas.

* Re: Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-06 16:21   ` akuster
From: akuster @ 2019-05-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Watt, Volosincu, Andreea S, yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

On 5/6/19 8:06 AM, Joshua Watt wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 18:01 +0000, Volosincu, Andreea S wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

>> Yocto Project is pleased to announce the plans for the upcoming
>> Embedded Linux Conferences in NA and Europe.
>>

>> Here is a snapshot of our schedule:
>>

>> ELC NA – Wednesday, August 21 - 23, 2019, Hilton San Diego Bayfront,
>> San Diego, CA
>>
>>                    Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the
>> show floor
>>

>> ELC NA Dev Day – Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>>
>> Set-up: 1 Meeting Room - Classroom Seating ( 60 people)
>>
>> Level: Intermediate – Advanced. Participants will receive beginner
>> material (videos and presentations) as pre-requisites
>>
>> Includes: Morning Break, Buffet Lunch, Beer & Wine Reception with
>> light appetizers
>>

> Is there any registration cost for this event, and how does one register?
For the training portion there normally has been. I am sure the details
will be provided once things are setup.

- armin

@ 2019-05-06 17:05     ` Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2019-05-06 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster, Joshua Watt, Volosincu, Andreea S, yocto-advocacy,
	Yocto list discussion

I just visited the Embedded Linux Conference site and the Dev day on the 20th is not listed, does anyone know how to get more information on it. I'm very interested in attending along with one of my coworkers.
Regards,
Greg Wilson-Lindberg
Principal Firmware Engineer | Sakura Finetek USA, Inc.

@ 2019-05-06 17:29       ` Volosincu, Andreea S
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Wilson-Lindberg, akuster, Joshua Watt, yocto-advocacy,
	Yocto list discussion

Hi Greg,

Linux Foundation is adding the info right now. Please check back in a couple of days. The Dev Day will be listed with the co-located events and you will be able to add it to your ELC registration.

Thanks!
Andreea

@ 2019-05-06 17:34   ` Volosincu, Andreea S
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-06 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

Hi Jupiter,

Melbourne Australia is not in the plan for the near future, but you could help remotely as well.

For instance, have you checked out the first live streaming that we had? Developers worldwide could help us with this, showing other developers how they work with the project. Here it is: https://www.twitch.tv/yocto_project/videos. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Andreea

@ 2019-05-06 17:42   ` Volosincu, Andreea S
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Watt, yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

Hi Joshua,

The event will be listed on the co-located events page and there will be a cost associated with it. Please check this page in a couple of days - https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/elc-north-america-2019/program/co-located-events/

You will be able to add this to your ELC registration.

Thanks!
Andreea

@ 2019-05-06 17:50             ` Volosincu, Andreea S
       [not found]             ` <c3cbc64b-f7ea-f2d3-32ae-7a94b8693713@emcodev.nl>
From: Volosincu, Andreea S @ 2019-05-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr, Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

Good points to keep in mind. I will add them to the agenda for the upcoming advocacy call.

Thanks!
Andreea

I'd actually word it a little bit differently:

If there is only *ONE* attendee who did not properly do the homework, it will have a massive impact an the rest of the group. And that somebody will show up unpreparedly is absolutely certain in my opinion.

As someone who actually got started through the YPDD beginner track (and also often recommends it to new beginners), my opinion is clearly that we either should have it, be it only for a handful of attendees, or offer a *real* replacement, with face to face training. My experience is that this personal thing in the very beginning is an absolutely essential part of many YP/OE careers.

Greetz

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 04:46:12PM -0700, Behan Webster wrote:
> Just for the record, speaking as a professional trainer, and someone who makes material available before classes in the hopes that people will do “pre-class homework”, almost nobody even glances through any material sent before class. And many people claim to have never received it (for various reasons, but often because it ends up ignored or in spam).
>
> Essentially I wouldn’t count on anyone actually looking at anything before arriving, because statistically nobody does.
>
> Behan
>
> Sent from my Mobile Computer which is also a phone
>
> > On May 5, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Volosincu, Andreea S <andreea.volosincu@windriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > That’s correct. We’ll provide previous beginner material as pre-class homework.
> >
> > Andreea

———————————————

       [not found]               ` <E403FC4D-C557-4637-B3A1-D2C895621DB6@converseincode.com>
@ 2019-05-07  9:47                 ` Bas Mevissen
From: Bas Mevissen @ 2019-05-07  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

On 2019-05-07 07:20, Behan Webster wrote:

> > On May 6, 2019, at 8:36 AM, Bas Mevissen <bas@emcodev.nl> wrote:
> > On 5/6/19 12:45 PM, Josef Holzmayr wrote:
> > I'd actually word it a little bit differently:
> > If there is only *ONE* attendee who did not properly do the homework, it
> > will have a massive impact an the rest of the group. And that somebody
> > will show up unpreparedly is absolutely certain in my opinion.
> > With sufficient trainers, one can continue for most and provide some assistance to the one falling behind.

> Usually more than one. And this is generally very disruptive to the
> class as a whole.

> >> As someone who actually got started through the YPDD beginner track (and
> >> also often recommends it to new beginners), my opinion is clearly that
> >> we either should have it, be it only for a handful of attendees, or
> >> offer a *real* replacement, with face to face training. My experience is
> >> that this personal thing in the very beginning is an absolutely
> >> essential part of many YP/OE careers.
> >
> > I agree. That is how I started, next to a compressed Linux Foundation Yocto training that was offered just before the event then.

> Yes. By me and my colleagues who train for the Linux Foundation.

> > So it might be wise to ask LF or get something organised. It would mostly require a room and a sponsor for some small devkit.

> We've run the beginner track for the last few years. The discussion is
> precisely that the YP event is proposing to not run the beginner track
> this year at all.

But why? There appears to be a constant demand.

> We're happy to do it again if given the space.

Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not
require much preperation.

> Behan

-- Bas.

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-07 18:18                   ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2019-05-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Mevissen; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

> On May 7, 2019, at 2:47 AM, Bas Mevissen <abuse@basmevissen.nl> wrote:
>
> On 2019-05-07 07:20, Behan Webster wrote:
>
>> > On May 6, 2019, at 8:36 AM, Bas Mevissen <bas@emcodev.nl> wrote:
>> > On 5/6/19 12:45 PM, Josef Holzmayr wrote:
>> > I'd actually word it a little bit differently:
>> > If there is only *ONE* attendee who did not properly do the homework, it
>> > will have a massive impact an the rest of the group. And that somebody
>> > will show up unpreparedly is absolutely certain in my opinion.
>> > With sufficient trainers, one can continue for most and provide some assistance to the one falling behind.
>
>> Usually more than one. And this is generally very disruptive to the class as a whole.

>> > I agree. That is how I started, next to a compressed Linux Foundation Yocto training that was offered just before the event then.
>
>> Yes. By me and my colleagues who train for the Linux Foundation.
>
>> > So it might be wise to ask LF or get something organised. It would mostly require a room and a sponsor for some small devkit.
>
>> We've run the beginner track for the last few years. The discussion is precisely that the YP event is proposing to not run the beginner track this year at all.
>
> But why? There appears to be a constant demand.

An excellent question. I agree with you. I don’t have an answer however. Not my decision.

>> We're happy to do it again if given the space.
>
> Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not require much preperation.

Speaking as a course maintainer for LF, keeping the YP course updated is actually a tremendous amount of work (I’m the co-maintainer for the LF YP course).

However, the beginner slides tend not to need more than a few hours of updates every 6 months (which again is something I do).

Either may appear off-the-shelf, but they aren’t from my perspective. ;)

Thanks,

Behan

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-09  7:55                     ` Bas Mevissen
From: Bas Mevissen @ 2019-05-09  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

On 2019-05-07 20:18, Behan Webster wrote:

(...)

> > Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not require much preparation.

> Speaking as a course maintainer for LF, keeping the YP course updated
> is actually a tremendous amount of work (I'm the co-maintainer for the
> LF YP course).
> However, the beginner slides tend not to need more than a few hours of
> updates every 6 months (which again is something I do).
> Either may appear off-the-shelf, but they aren't from my perspective.
> ;)

An additional training date would probably not require much extra I
assume. As the training is given already a few times a year.
But it is good to hear the training is kept up to date.

> Thanks,

> Behan

-- Bas.

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-09 14:24                       ` akuster
From: akuster @ 2019-05-09 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Mevissen, Behan Webster; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

On 5/9/19 12:55 AM, Bas Mevissen wrote:
> On 2019-05-07 20:18, Behan Webster wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> > Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not
>> require much preparation.
>
>> Speaking as a course maintainer for LF, keeping the YP course updated
>> is actually a tremendous amount of work (I'm the co-maintainer for
>> the LF YP course).
>> However, the beginner slides tend not to need more than a few hours
>> of updates every 6 months (which again is something I do).
>> Either may appear off-the-shelf, but they aren't from my perspective. ;)
>
> An additional training date would probably not require much extra I
> assume. As the training is given already a few times a year.
> But it is good to hear the training is kept up to date.
Its not the material, need or willingness of the community to help that
is at issue. Its cost.
The more members we have the more we can do.

Regards,
Armin

@ 2019-05-09 15:38                     ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster, Bas Mevissen; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

Chiming in here

On 5/7/19 11:18 AM, Behan Webster wrote:
>> On May 7, 2019, at 2:47 AM, Bas Mevissen <abuse@basmevissen.nl
>> <mailto:abuse@basmevissen.nl>> wrote:

>>> homework, it
>>> some assistance to the one falling behind.
>>
>>> Usually more than one. And this is generally very disruptive to the
>>> class as a whole.

There are always people who are prepared to the T and others who just
casually stroll into the class. We all know that as we all went through
various stages of schooling. :) No matter what you do, there always will
be a glitch. I tried it all from course preparation instructions, shell
scripts setting up systems, USB sticks and network drives with downloads
and shared state cache, virtual machine images, build systems set up in
the cloud, you name it. If it is not somebody who is unprepared it is a
technical issue: lack of disk space, network connectivity, corporate
computers that do not allow USB sticks,... Instructors just have to deal
with it.
>>> track (and
>>> that
>>> experience is

>>> Foundation Yocto training that was offered just before the event then.
>>
>>> Yes. By me and my colleagues who train for the Linux Foundation.

>>> mostly require a room and a sponsor for some small devkit.
>>
>>> We've run the beginner track for the last few years. The discussion
>>> is precisely that the YP event is proposing to not run the beginner
>>> track this year at all.
>>
>> But why? There appears to be a constant demand.
>
> An excellent question. I agree with you. I don’t have an answer
> however. Not my decision.

I certainly would advocate to have the beginner track. It's a good way
of getting people interested, and eventually excited, for the Yocto
Project. Conferences and dev days are an opportunity to do advertising
and to grow the community. We cannot do that just by catering to people
who are already using YP. We need new folks as we are already running
into issues where things have to be dropped because there is nobody who
is maintaining it.

>>> We're happy to do it again if given the space.
>>
>> Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not
>> require much preperation.
>
> Speaking as a course maintainer for LF, keeping the YP course updated
> is actually a tremendous amount of work (I’m the co-maintainer for the
> LF YP course).
>
> However, the beginner slides tend not to need more than a few hours of
> updates every 6 months (which again is something I do).
>
> Either may appear off-the-shelf, but they aren’t from my perspective. ;)

I can wholeheartedly second that. I developed the original YP class of
the LF and taught it many times and have since developed my own class
material teaching classes. While the basic concept of course remains the
same it is the little details that change. With every new version of the
YP a course maintainer has to go through every single exercise and
example in the course material and try it out again to see if it still
works. And quite frankly, sometimes it is rather silly things that have
changed and break something.

In particular for a beginner class lasting one day only, every single
disruption sets the class back and there is no opportunity to recover
from it. The day is already packed just to cover the core concepts.

Cheers,
Rudi

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

* Re: [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-09 18:28                       ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2019-05-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf J Streif; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

> On May 9, 2019, at 8:38 AM, Rudolf J Streif <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com> wrote:
>
> Chiming in here
>
> On 5/7/19 11:18 AM, Behan Webster wrote:

> There are always people who are prepared to the T and others who just casually stroll into the class. We all know that as we all went through various stages of schooling. :) No matter what you do, there always will be a glitch. I tried it all from course preparation instructions, shell scripts setting up systems, USB sticks and network drives with downloads and shared state cache, virtual machine images, build systems set up in the cloud, you name it. If it is not somebody who is unprepared it is a technical issue: lack of disk space, network connectivity, corporate computers that do not allow USB sticks,... Instructors just have to deal with it.

And if you have a multiple day class, you can absorb such disruption.

But for single day events you basically have to make sure there is little to no wiggle room for failure. And for individual talks, there is almost no room for disruption at all during labs.

Assuming pre-class work essentially means there will be massive disruption on the day because many/most/all the attendees won’t have done it.

This is why we’ve largely done lecture only beginner talks at YPDD to make sure we cover as much material as we can and limit the possibility of in class issues.

>>> But why? There appears to be a constant demand.
>>
>> An excellent question. I agree with you. I don’t have an answer however. Not my decision.
>>
> I certainly would advocate to have the beginner track. It's a good way of getting people interested, and eventually excited, for the Yocto Project. Conferences and dev days are an opportunity to do advertising and to grow the community. We cannot do that just by catering to people who are already using YP. We need new folks as we are already running into issues where things have to be dropped because there is nobody who is maintaining it.

All agreed.

>>> Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not require much preperation.
>>
>> Speaking as a course maintainer for LF, keeping the YP course updated is actually a tremendous amount of work (I’m the co-maintainer for the LF YP course).
>>
>> However, the beginner slides tend not to need more than a few hours of updates every 6 months (which again is something I do).
>>
>> Either may appear off-the-shelf, but they aren’t from my perspective. ;)
> I can wholeheartedly second that. I developed the original YP class of the LF and taught it many times and have since developed my own class material teaching classes.

And you did a great job!
> While the basic concept of course remains the same it is the little details that change. With every new version of the YP a course maintainer has to go through every single exercise and example in the course material and try it out again to see if it still works. And quite frankly, sometimes it is rather silly things that have changed and break something.

So very true.
> In particular for a beginner class lasting one day only, every single disruption sets the class back and there is no opportunity to recover from it. The day is already packed just to cover the core concepts.

Precisely.

Behan

* Re: Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days
@ 2019-05-13 20:09     ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2019-05-13 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volosincu, Andreea S; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:43 PM Volosincu, Andreea S
<andreea.volosincu@windriver.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>

> The event will be listed on the co-located events page and there will be a cost associated with it. Please check this page in a couple of days - https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/elc-north-america-2019/program/co-located-events/
>

> You will be able to add this to your ELC registration.

Thanks. I'm hopefully not being too annoying, but us there an ETA on
when the registration will be open? The early registration deadline
for the ELC is May 20th, which is basically 5 working days, and I will
need a few days to push the paperwork though, so it's getting a little
close for my comfort :)

If it isn't going to be available soon, I do have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to register for the Dev Day after you have
registered for the ELC?
2. Is there a rough (preferably upper limit) estimate for the cost?

@ 2019-05-14  0:42       ` akuster
From: akuster @ 2019-05-14  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Watt, Volosincu, Andreea S; +Cc: Yocto list discussion, yocto-advocacy

On 5/13/19 1:09 PM, Joshua Watt wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:43 PM Volosincu, Andreea S
> <andreea.volosincu@windriver.com> wrote:
>> Hi Joshua,
>>

>> The event will be listed on the co-located events page and there will be a cost associated with it. Please check this page in a couple of days - https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/elc-north-america-2019/program/co-located-events/
>>

>> You will be able to add this to your ELC registration.
> Thanks. I'm hopefully not being too annoying, but us there an ETA on
> when the registration will be open? The early registration deadline
> for the ELC is May 20th, which is basically 5 working days, and I will
> need a few days to push the paperwork though, so it's getting a little
> close for my comfort :)
Add on events can be added later or purchased on-site.  I have done in
the past so I would reg for early bird now.

> If it isn't going to be available soon, I do have a few questions:
> 1. Is it possible to register for the Dev Day after you have
> registered for the ELC?
> 2. Is there a rough (preferably upper limit) estimate for the cost?
Good question. This is weird year for things so I can't comment on the
new norm.

- Armin

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andreea

                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-14 11:31 ` Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2019-05-14 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volosincu, Andreea S, yocto-advocacy, Yocto list discussion

Hi,

I think the discussion went a bit off track, which happens on mailing
lists after x replies;)

Please see my comments in-line.

On 03.05.19 21:01, Volosincu, Andreea S wrote:

> ELCE – Monday, October 28 -30, 2019, Lyon Convention Centre, Lyon, France
>
>                Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the show floor
>
> ELCE Yocto Project Summit – Dates & Times:
>
> Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>
>                 November 1, 2019 - 8:00 am - 6:00PM

As you might know I am willing to help teaching at the EU event.

> Set-up:
>
> Day 1: 1 Meeting Room - Theater Seating for 100 for Yocto Project talks
>
> Day 2: 2 Meeting Rooms - Mixed Classroom/Theater seating for 60 &
> Classroom seating for 40 (for maintainers and users)
>
> Includes:
>
> Morning Break for 2 days
>
> Buffet Lunch for 2 days
>
> Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers for 1 day
>
> The goal for the second day of the summit is to build and bring the
> community together. We are interested to hear your opinions and ideas on
> how that day and those rooms should be used for. Please send your ideas
> to Andreea Volosincu and Philip Balister.

1)

I propose for the YP people to borrow some of their marketing people to
OE ;) really I am serious about it.
(I already proposed that on the last OE Dev day, but no idea what happened).

There are quite a few cool things going on and they are not known to the
public.

2) What kind of classes?

2.1) Basic classes
2.2) Intermediate classes
2.3) Advanced classes

It all depends on interest from trainees and from trainers and what we
would like to present in general those 2 days.

Should it be just some veterans coming together (well the usual
suspects) discussing things and drinking beer? (Josef will only get
coffee and water)

... or do we want to bring in new people/beginners and give them some
overview/initial help with the "monster" as well?

Don't get me wrong, I am delivering lots of YP/OE trainings and there is
definitely a very high demand for this, but is that what we want to be
covered in the 2 days as well?

3)

A different approach might be for people to "bring their own YP/OE
problem" and we'll try to sort it out on the spot (if possible) or at
least we'll try to propose some guidance how problems could be solved.
That might be a quite interesting mix of simple and advanced problems.
Having all the "brains" of the project(s) together in one place might
help to see what problems people actually have.

Examples I came across:

3.1) People are told to use the YP in their project because the board
manufacturer made a BSP with it, but they just need a headless system.
3.1.1) They start to remove stuff from the shiny Qt enabled demo of the
board manufacturer - and fail.

3.2) People build some binaries with the SDK provided by the board
manufacturer and manually copy them over to the rootfs - and can never
reproduce again what goes in the field. - even the kernel and the boot
loader are "maintained" outside of the YP/OE sometimes.

3.3) People build a complete image and upload it to the target with
every little code change - instead of a different "developer" and
"test/release" workflow.

3.4) License compliance - what this really exists?

3.5) Static libs (with autotools) (I made a speech about it last time at
the YP dev day)

3.6) SW update vs. package management - sooner or later this is needed

3.7) Reproduce-able builds - are they?

3.8) Containers - deliver app(s) in containers

Now you know why I have so many gray/white hair and why I am traveling
all the time delivering trainings ;)

> We will call out an Advocacy meeting in a couple of weeks to go over
> plans and vote on the ideas for the second day of the summit.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andreea
>
> Yocto Project Advocacy Lead

Regards,