* ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-23 20:30 Sage Weil
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

One idea kicking around is to create a simple ceph-standalone package that
is meant to make it really easy to play around with Ceph.  It would:

- depend on all the relevant ceph packages
- install a simple, generic ceph.conf for use on localhost (or perhaps
whatever /etc/hosts has for our hostname)
- mkfs and start up a mon
- start up an osd (or two?) in /var/lib/ceph (no dedicated disk/volume)
- start an mds
- add an apache2 site in /etc/apache2/sites-available (or whatever)

The idea would be to do

$ sudo apt-get install ceph-standalone
$ ceph -s
[...]

and have a usable mini-cluster.  That makes it really easy for users to
play with the basics, like:

$ mkdir /mnt/ceph
$ sudo ceph-fuse /mnt/ceph

$ rbd create ...
$ rbd map ...

$ curl http://localhost:8000/
<more rgw stuff>

Does this sound useful?  Any takers?
sage

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-23 22:33 ` Sebastien Han
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastien Han @ 2014-02-23 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

This seems quite useful and could improve the user experience.
This looks more or less like a ceph-deploy wrapper to me and shouldn’t be that difficult to make (except for the RGW part since nothing is there).
A simple bash script could be used I guess.

I just wonder if it’s worth investing into a RGW with ceph-deploy and then just write a bash script that wraps up everything on a single setup.

What do you think?

Cheers.
––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Engineer

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood.”

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han@enovance.com
Address : 10, rue de la Victoire - 75009 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance

On 23 Feb 2014, at 21:30, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:

> One idea kicking around is to create a simple ceph-standalone package that
> is meant to make it really easy to play around with Ceph.  It would:
>
> - depend on all the relevant ceph packages
> - install a simple, generic ceph.conf for use on localhost (or perhaps
> whatever /etc/hosts has for our hostname)
> - mkfs and start up a mon
> - start up an osd (or two?) in /var/lib/ceph (no dedicated disk/volume)
> - start an mds
> - add an apache2 site in /etc/apache2/sites-available (or whatever)
>
> The idea would be to do
>
> $ sudo apt-get install ceph-standalone
> $ ceph -s
> [...]
>
> and have a usable mini-cluster.  That makes it really easy for users to
> play with the basics, like:
>
> $ mkdir /mnt/ceph
> $ sudo ceph-fuse /mnt/ceph
>
> $ rbd create ...
> $ rbd map ...
>
> $ curl http://localhost:8000/
> <more rgw stuff>
>
> Does this sound useful?  Any takers?
> sage

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-23 22:44   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-02-23 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014, Sebastien Han wrote:
> This seems quite useful and could improve the user experience.
> This looks more or less like a ceph-deploy wrapper to me and shouldn’t be that difficult to make (except for the RGW part since nothing is there).
> A simple bash script could be used I guess.

I think it is actually simpler than ceph-deploy.  The package postinst
script can just do the setup steps to create the daemons since it is all
on the local machine.

> I just wonder if it’s worth investing into a RGW with ceph-deploy and
> then just write a bash script that wraps up everything on a single
> setup.

Independently, it would be great to add rgw support for ceph-deploy since
that is one of the more difficult pieces to set up.

But I think the ceph-standalone piece is about making a simple,
prescriptive version of vstart.sh that deploys 1 mon, 1 mds, and maybe 2
osds (or something like that; suggestions welcome!) and wrapping it in a
deb/rpm.

sage

> What do you think?
>
> Cheers.
> ––––
> Sébastien Han
> Cloud Engineer
>
> "Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood.”
>
> Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
> Mail: sebastien.han@enovance.com
> Address : 10, rue de la Victoire - 75009 Paris
> Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance
>
> On 23 Feb 2014, at 21:30, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
>
> > One idea kicking around is to create a simple ceph-standalone package that
> > is meant to make it really easy to play around with Ceph.  It would:
> >
> > - depend on all the relevant ceph packages
> > - install a simple, generic ceph.conf for use on localhost (or perhaps
> > whatever /etc/hosts has for our hostname)
> > - mkfs and start up a mon
> > - start up an osd (or two?) in /var/lib/ceph (no dedicated disk/volume)
> > - start an mds
> > - add an apache2 site in /etc/apache2/sites-available (or whatever)
> >
> > The idea would be to do
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install ceph-standalone
> > $ ceph -s
> > [...]
> >
> > and have a usable mini-cluster.  That makes it really easy for users to
> > play with the basics, like:
> >
> > $ mkdir /mnt/ceph
> > $ sudo ceph-fuse /mnt/ceph
> >
> > $ rbd create ...
> > $ rbd map ...
> >
> > $ curl http://localhost:8000/
> > <more rgw stuff>
> >
> > Does this sound useful?  Any takers?
> > sage
> > --

* RE: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-24  9:25 ` alain.dechorgnat
From: alain.dechorgnat @ 2014-02-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

I think it would be interesting.
I am actually using a shell script written by Loic Dachary from his blog (http://dachary.org/?p=2374).

The ceph-standalone package would be very useful for fast appropriation and understanding of Ceph.
This kind of installation can facilitate client functional tests and demos (even on a laptop).

I do not have the skills for it, but I'm interested in the outcome.

Regards

Alain Dechorgnat

[...]

Thank you.

* RE: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-24 10:33 ` Martin Maurer
From: Martin Maurer @ 2014-02-24 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

 > and have a usable mini-cluster.  That makes it really easy for users to play
> with the basics, like:

[Martin Maurer]
Hello Sage,

Not the same, but another fast way to get a full OS and Ceph installed for testing (and more): Proxmox VE Ceph Server

For playing with Ceph, you can  install Proxmox VE on bare-metal, inside your favorite virtualization system (e.g. inside KVM or any other)

Here is a short video tutorial:
http://youtu.be/ImyRUyMBrwo

Wiki:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server
(Note, CephFS is not yet implemented)

Martin

* Re: ceph-standalone
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-02-24 20:59 ` Jean-Charles LOPEZ
From: Jean-Charles LOPEZ @ 2014-02-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weil Sage; +Cc: LOPEZ Jean-Charles, ceph-devel

Hi Sage,

I think this is a great idea.

However, I would recommend that two options to be available:
1) First options is a standalone package as you describe it
2) Second option is a prepackaged VM in OVA format people can just download and import using VirtualBox, Fusion or VMWarePlayer.

I can take care of the second option and prepare an OVA for you using the base I already have.

JC
jc.lopez@inktank.com

On Feb 23, 2014, at 12:30, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:

> One idea kicking around is to create a simple ceph-standalone package that
> is meant to make it really easy to play around with Ceph.  It would:
>
> - depend on all the relevant ceph packages
> - install a simple, generic ceph.conf for use on localhost (or perhaps
> whatever /etc/hosts has for our hostname)
> - mkfs and start up a mon
> - start up an osd (or two?) in /var/lib/ceph (no dedicated disk/volume)
> - start an mds
> - add an apache2 site in /etc/apache2/sites-available (or whatever)
>
> The idea would be to do
>
> $ sudo apt-get install ceph-standalone
> $ ceph -s
> [...]
>
> and have a usable mini-cluster.  That makes it really easy for users to
> play with the basics, like:
>
> $ mkdir /mnt/ceph
> $ sudo ceph-fuse /mnt/ceph
>
> $ rbd create ...
> $ rbd map ...
>
> $ curl http://localhost:8000/
> <more rgw stuff>
>
> Does this sound useful?  Any takers?
> sage

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-24 21:26   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2014-02-24 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Charles LOPEZ; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 24/02/2014 21:59, Jean-Charles LOPEZ wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> I think this is a great idea.
>
> However, I would recommend that two options to be available:
> 1) First options is a standalone package as you describe it
> 2) Second option is a prepackaged VM in OVA format people can just download and import using VirtualBox, Fusion or VMWarePlayer.

Hi Jean-Charles,

I like the idea of a ready-to-run VM. The "raw" format (i.e. a file which is a disk with partitions and bootloader) is universal and all hypervisor/cloud infrastructures are able to load it natively.

My 2cts ;-)

> I can take care of the second option and prepare an OVA for you using the base I already have.
>
> JC
> jc.lopez@inktank.com
>

> On Feb 23, 2014, at 12:30, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
>
>> One idea kicking around is to create a simple ceph-standalone package that
>> is meant to make it really easy to play around with Ceph.  It would:
>>
>> - depend on all the relevant ceph packages
>> - install a simple, generic ceph.conf for use on localhost (or perhaps
>> whatever /etc/hosts has for our hostname)
>> - mkfs and start up a mon
>> - start up an osd (or two?) in /var/lib/ceph (no dedicated disk/volume)
>> - start an mds
>> - add an apache2 site in /etc/apache2/sites-available (or whatever)
>>
>> The idea would be to do
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install ceph-standalone
>> $ ceph -s
>> [...]
>>
>> and have a usable mini-cluster.  That makes it really easy for users to
>> play with the basics, like:
>>
>> $ mkdir /mnt/ceph
>> $ sudo ceph-fuse /mnt/ceph
>>
>> $ rbd create ...
>> $ rbd map ...
>>
>> $ curl http://localhost:8000/
>> <more rgw stuff>
>>
>> Does this sound useful?  Any takers?
>> sage
>> --

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-24 21:30     ` Joe Landman
       [not found]       ` <94B17E9A-4943-4228-95C2-2A1D3ED98C77@inktank.com>
From: Joe Landman @ 2014-02-24 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, Jean-Charles LOPEZ; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 02/24/2014 04:26 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:

> On 24/02/2014 21:59, Jean-Charles LOPEZ wrote:
>> Hi Sage,
>>
>> I think this is a great idea.
>>
>> However, I would recommend that two options to be available: 1)
>> First options is a standalone package as you describe it 2) Second
>> option is a prepackaged VM in OVA format people can just download
>> and import using VirtualBox, Fusion or VMWarePlayer.
>>
> Hi Jean-Charles,
>
> I like the idea of a ready-to-run VM. The "raw" format (i.e. a file
> which is a disk with partitions and bootloader) is universal and all
> hypervisor/cloud infrastructures are able to load it natively.
>
> My 2cts ;-)

Are you looking for someone to work on building this (VM) or a script to
generate one?  Or a script to build a simple to play with getup?

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO

* Re: ceph-standalone
       [not found]       ` <94B17E9A-4943-4228-95C2-2A1D3ED98C77@inktank.com>
@ 2014-02-24 21:34         ` Joe Landman
From: Joe Landman @ 2014-02-24 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Charles LOPEZ; +Cc: Loic Dachary, ceph-devel

On 02/24/2014 04:33 PM, Jean-Charles LOPEZ wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I already have a VM that is very close to what Sage is talking about.
> Just need to get the MDS configured on it and it should be ready.
>
> Will keep you in the loop when I need scripting it.

Ok.  Thanks.

--

@ 2014-02-24 21:35   ` Sebastien Han
From: Sebastien Han @ 2014-02-24 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Charles LOPEZ; +Cc: Weil Sage, ceph-devel

FYI I already have a vagrant box ready.

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2013/04/22/play-with-ceph-vagrant-box/

The box just needs to be updated with the last version.

Cheers.
––––

@ 2014-02-24 21:42     ` Jean-Charles LOPEZ
From: Jean-Charles LOPEZ @ 2014-02-24 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han; +Cc: LOPEZ Jean-Charles, Weil Sage, ceph-devel

Hi Sebastien,

so that’s great. It’s already almost done. Let us know when you have managed updating it.

I suppose it would be best if we could offer one image each of the last 3 Ceph versions (dumpling, emperor and firefly) so people can then play with the expected level they are looking for in either test environment or production environment.

Each of the images would be maintained up to date for the last stable code base of each version only to reduce time consuming.

What about this?
JC

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-24 23:06       ` Kyle Bader
From: Kyle Bader @ 2014-02-24 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

> so that’s great. It’s already almost done. Let us know when you have managed updating it.
>
> I suppose it would be best if we could offer one image each of the last 3 Ceph versions (dumpling, emperor and firefly) so people can then play with the expected level they are looking for in either test environment or production environment.
>
> Each of the images would be maintained up to date for the last stable code base of each version only to reduce time consuming.

This is screaming for us to use packer [1], that way we can easily
create vbox/kvm/ec2 images from a file that we can stash in git

[1] http://www.packer.io/

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-25  2:11         ` Hunter Nield
From: Hunter Nield @ 2014-02-25  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

The packer solution sounds sensible to me as it also would allow the
creation of Docker images.

A basic Docker image has already been started
(https://index.docker.io/u/rochaporto/cephbox/) but it would be quite
useful to have a version that comes from an official maintained
source.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@gmail.com> wrote:
>> so that’s great. It’s already almost done. Let us know when you have managed updating it.
>>
>> I suppose it would be best if we could offer one image each of the last 3 Ceph versions (dumpling, emperor and firefly) so people can then play with the expected level they are looking for in either test environment or production environment.
>>
>> Each of the images would be maintained up to date for the last stable code base of each version only to reduce time consuming.
>
> This is screaming for us to use packer [1], that way we can easily
> create vbox/kvm/ec2 images from a file that we can stash in git
>
> [1] http://www.packer.io/

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-25  3:34           ` Ricardo Rocha
From: Ricardo Rocha @ 2014-02-25  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hunter Nield; +Cc: ceph-devel

I did it mostly to learn about docker (and because i wanted a 'cluster
in the office' like Loic had :-)). Not incredibly pretty though.

Usually i go with vagrant to deploy ceph in a box (1 mon, 2 osds) in
an lxc container, with file loopback mounts and using the puppet
module to deploy/config (which has good vagrant integration, and
mimics our production env). We use a similar setup for the openstack
bits, and it's also the basis of our continuous integration.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Nield <hunter@acale.ph> wrote:
> The packer solution sounds sensible to me as it also would allow the
> creation of Docker images.
>
> A basic Docker image has already been started
> (https://index.docker.io/u/rochaporto/cephbox/) but it would be quite
> useful to have a version that comes from an official maintained
> source.
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> so that's great. It's already almost done. Let us know when you have managed updating it.
>>>
>>> I suppose it would be best if we could offer one image each of the last 3 Ceph versions (dumpling, emperor and firefly) so people can then play with the expected level they are looking for in either test environment or production environment.
>>>
>>> Each of the images would be maintained up to date for the last stable code base of each version only to reduce time consuming.
>>
>> This is screaming for us to use packer [1], that way we can easily
>> create vbox/kvm/ec2 images from a file that we can stash in git
>>
>> [1] http://www.packer.io/
>> --

* Re: ceph-standalone
@ 2014-02-25  8:33             ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2014-02-25  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Rocha; +Cc: ceph-devel, Robert Sander, Stephan Seitz

On 25/02/2014 04:34, Ricardo Rocha wrote:
> I did it mostly to learn about docker (and because i wanted a 'cluster
> in the office' like Loic had :-)). Not incredibly pretty though.

:-) Robert and Stephan created this nice office cluster and it would be nice to know how it evolved. My understanding is that it was an experiment to learn about Ceph before doing something more ambitious.

Cheers

@ 2014-02-25  8:46               ` Robert Sander
From: Robert Sander @ 2014-02-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, Ricardo Rocha; +Cc: ceph-devel, Stephan Seitz