From: Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>
To: Gilles Chanteperdrix <gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org>
Cc: "Kiszka, Jan" <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>,
	"Xenomai@xenomai.org" <Xenomai@xenomai.org>
Subject: [Xenomai] Road to 3.0
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:54:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

This is the remaining work toward 3.0 from my perspective. Please
comment, amend, extend or shatter as needed.

- RTDM
	* decide and freeze API changes.
	* the native implementation may need some care and testing, we never
had any feedback for this code.
	* fixup of in-tree drivers for API changes

- Analogy
	* comedi drivers still in the staging tree for mainline vs porting the
Analogy framework over the mercury core.

- Alchemy needs more test cases, although all core features are covered
by at least one test already - except messages pipes. This latter
interface is now a plain wrapper on top of rtipc/xddp though.

- Documentation
	* the inline documentation for the Cobalt kernel was amended gradually
as development took place, but we still have a general review and
cleanup duties ahead for this material.
	* Copperplate is not documented yet. Only API designers would need this
though.
	* User guide for 3.x.
	* Review, fixup of the new migration and installation guides.
	* website updates for 3.x. We may want to fork the documentation area
in two distinct zones, for 2.x and 3.x, otherwise I suspect that many
people will get utterly confused.

- /proc/xenomai refactoring for Cobalt. With most APIs now implemented
in userland and the introduction of the new fuse-based registry,
/proc/xenomai/registry does not contain much these days. In fact, only
the RTIPC drivers can still create links there.

It boils down to this question: will the POSIX core introduce new
registry files, or will RTDM-based code remain the only in-kernel
registry user?

- I pulled out the examples area during the early development days, it
is time to push some demo code back in, preferably that would work over
both Cobalt and Mercury cores indifferently.

- nios2 and sh4 over Cobalt are lagging behind, basically because we
would need a 3.10+ reference kernel for implementing the proper pipeline
bits 3.x requires, which we don't have. I'll be looking for such kernel
for supporting nios2 at some point. I'm unsure for sh4: no hardware at
hand, and most importantly, nobody seemed to care about running Xenomai
over this architecture.

- running the Copperplate layer over uClibc instead of glibc. Last time
I tried (a couple of years ago), several nightmare-class issues popped
up. The question is: do we still need this, is it worth the effort, or
can we reasonably make glibc a pre-requisite for running non-POSIX APIs
in dual kernel (i.e. Cobalt) mode? Blackfin and nios2 were the primary
users of Xenomai's uClibc compatibility in 2.x.

- any change that would be pending to the pipeline core API. If you have
any brewing or to be suggested, now is a good time to speak up.

- The vrtx and uITRON APIs have not been rewritten over the copperplate
layer yet. Given that we received no valuable feedback over the years
for these skins, I don't see the point in implementing this today.

- Finally, I have a series of 130+ specific implementation
changes/issues for the -forge tree pending in my todo list. Nothing
really bad or difficult, only a truckload of details.

I'm refraining from indicating any priority for these tasks, since this
should be part of the discussion. A distinction between what's available
for the first candidate release and the final one may make sense.

--
Philippe.