On 04/14/2014 06:40 AM, Nikolaus Jeremic wrote: > Hello, > > how can I nudge fio to write a certain amount of data (less than > capacity of block device) to randomly generated offsets covering the > whole address space of a block device (e.g. MD RAID device)? > > Using the size parameter yields offsets from 0 to size (thus, not > covering the whole address range). Using a time based job leads to the > desired result, but I would like two write a defined amount of data. I > have already tried this with fio 2.0.14, 2.1.6.1, 2.1.17, and 2.1.18 > without success. I am using Gentoo Linux with kernel 3.13.6 and libaio > 0.3.109. The job description looks as follows: Fio doesn't currently support that. Can you try the attached? It adds an option to separately define an io limit, io_limit. If io_limit is not set, size= behaves as it did before: if you don't give a size, size is defined by the files added. With this patch, if you do filename=/dev/md9 size=40g fio would read 40g between 0..40G If you do: filename=/dev/md9 fio would access the entire device. If you do: filename=/dev/md9 io_limit=10g fio would access the entire device, quit when 10G of IO was done. Etc. -- Jens Axboe