Hi Am 20.04.22 um 10:52 schrieb Javier Martinez Canillas: > Hello, > > The patches in this series are mostly changes suggested by Daniel Vetter > to fix some race conditions that exists between the fbdev core (fbmem) > and sysfb with regard to device registration and removal. > > For example, it is currently possible for sysfb to register a platform > device after a real DRM driver was registered and requested to remove the > conflicting framebuffers. > > A symptom of this issue, was worked around with by commit fb561bf9abde > ("fbdev: Prevent probing generic drivers if a FB is already registered") > but that's really a hack and should be reverted. As I mentioned on IRC, I think this series should be merged for the reasons I give in the other comments. > > This series attempt to fix it more properly and revert the mentioned hack. > That will also unblock a pending patch to not make the num_registered_fb > variable visible to drivers anymore, since that's internal to fbdev core. Here's as far as I understand the problem: 1) build DRM/fbdev and sysfb code into the kernel 2) during boot, load the DRM/fbdev modules and have them acquire I/O ranges 3) afterwards load sysfb and have it register platform devices for the generic framebuffers 4) these devices now conflict with the already-registered DRM/fbdev devices If that is the problem here, let's simply set a sysfb_disable flag in sysfb code when the first DRM/fbdev driver first loads. With the flag set, sysfb won't create any platform devices. We assume that there are now DRM/fbdev drivers for the framebuffers and sysfb won't be needed. We can set the flag internally from drm_aperture_detach_drivers() [1] and do_remove_conflicting_framebuffers() [2]. Best regards Thomas [1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.17.4/source/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_aperture.c#L253 [2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.17.4/source/drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c#L1559 > > Patch #1 is just a trivial preparatory change. > > Patch #2 add sysfb_disable() and sysfb_try_unregister() helpers for fbmem > to use them. > > Patch #3 changes how is dealt with conflicting framebuffers unregistering, > rather than having a variable to determine if a lock should be take, it > just drops the lock before unregistering the platform device. > > Patch #4 fixes the mentioned race conditions and finally patch #5 is the > revert patch that was posted by Daniel before but he dropped from his set. > > The patches were tested on a rpi4 using different video configurations: > (simpledrm -> vc4 both builtin, only vc4 builtin, only simpledrm builtin > and simpledrm builtin with vc4 built as a module). > > Best regards, > Javier > > Changes in v3: > - Rebase on top of latest drm-misc-next branch. > > Changes in v2: > - Rebase on top of latest drm-misc-next and fix conflicts (Daniel Vetter). > - Add kernel-doc comments and include in other_interfaces.rst (Daniel Vetter). > - Explain in the commit message that fbmem has to unregister the device > as fallback if a driver registered the device itself (Daniel Vetter). > - Also explain that fallback in a comment in the code (Daniel Vetter). > - Don't encode in fbmem the assumption that sysfb will always register > platform devices (Daniel Vetter). > - Add a FIXME comment about drivers registering devices (Daniel Vetter). > - Drop RFC prefix since patches were already reviewed by Daniel Vetter. > - Add Daniel Reviewed-by tags to the patches. > > Daniel Vetter (1): > Revert "fbdev: Prevent probing generic drivers if a FB is already > registered" > > Javier Martinez Canillas (4): > firmware: sysfb: Make sysfb_create_simplefb() return a pdev pointer > firmware: sysfb: Add helpers to unregister a pdev and disable > registration > fbdev: Restart conflicting fb removal loop when unregistering devices > fbdev: Fix some race conditions between fbmem and sysfb > > .../driver-api/firmware/other_interfaces.rst | 6 ++ > drivers/firmware/sysfb.c | 77 +++++++++++++++++-- > drivers/firmware/sysfb_simplefb.c | 16 ++-- > drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c | 62 ++++++++++++--- > drivers/video/fbdev/efifb.c | 11 --- > drivers/video/fbdev/simplefb.c | 11 --- > include/linux/fb.h | 1 - > include/linux/sysfb.h | 29 +++++-- > 8 files changed, 158 insertions(+), 55 deletions(-) > -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev