[adding libvirt] On 05/09/2014 05:54 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote: > Hi, > >> virt-manager/libvirt seems to default to 9 MByte of Vram for cirrus, >> so this would break a lot of setups. > > It wouldn't. libvirt sticks that into the xml, but it doesn't set any > qemu parameters. The libvirt parameter actually predates the qemu > property for setting the size. > Then we should probably re-evaluate what libvirt does with the parameters, which avoids breaking any guest that happens to be pre-existing with the odd 9MB sizing in the XML. >> Looking at datasheets on the web seems to say the chips actually went >> down to 1 MB or less. > > I have my doubts we emulate that correctly (register telling the guest > how much memory is actually there etc.). Also it is pretty much useless > these days, even the 4MB imply serious constrains when FullHD displays > are commonplace. Newer cirrus drivers such as the kernel's drm driver > are specifically written to qemu's cirrus cards, I have my doubs that > they are prepared to handle 1MB cirrus cards correctly. > > Bottom line: Allowing less than 4MB is asking for trouble for no good > reason ;) > > cheers, > Gerd > > > > > -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org