From: Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>
To: Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de>
Cc: "Alexandre Torgue" <alexandre.torgue@st.com>,
	"Patrick Delaunay" <patrick.delaunay@st.com>,
	"Maxime Coquelin" <mcoquelin.stm32@gmail.com>,
	"Uwe Kleine-König" <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de>,
	linux-stm32@st-md-mailman.stormreply.com,
	"Linux ARM" <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: STM32MP1 level triggered interrupts
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:21:34 +0000	[thread overview]

On 2020-01-23 22:21, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 1/23/20 12:18 PM, Marc Zyngier wrote:

>>> Ack, you won't want to look into the registers of the irq generating
>>> device for that. I assumed the line's state is observable in an
>>> irq-controller specific way.
>>
>> Unfortunately, that's not always the case. And if the mux has been
>> designed for edge-signalling only, this particular feature is unlikely
>> to exist because it makes little sense in this context (the input
>> events are only transient, so you wouldn't observe much). Instead, you
>> would implement a set of latches.
>>
>> But who knows, maybe as a debug feature (although looking at the TRM
>> didn't lead to anything useful)...

>>> With the above assumption given, I think that is ok even in 2020.
>>> (But I
>>> wonder about SoCs in 2020 not being able to handle level sensitive
>>> irqs
>>> :-)
>>
>> Quite. Seems incredibly restrictive, and very unfortunate.
>
> So I wonder, the EXTI should be able to read the GPIO line which caused
> the interrupt when the interrupt handler returns, and trigger the
> interrupt again if the line is still low. This might need some phandle
> from the EXTI to GPIO bank in DT, but should be generally doable, no ?
> It's a crutch all right.

That is exactly what Uwe was suggesting above (doing the resampling and
retriggering in SW). It remains to be seen whether the GPIO block offers
a way to to read the raw state of the wire.

> But I still wonder, what is the purpose of the EXTImux in that SoC?
> Shouldn't that permit routing GPIOs directly into GIC SPIs, which would
> then permit detecting at least level-high interrupts ?

These things are usually cargo-culted from one SoC to another. I'm
pretty
sure this started as a way to handle edge interrupts on a smaller
system,
and ended up being copy/pasted in the newer design.

On modern systems, interrupt MUXs are just a disaster: you can't balance
interrupts across CPUs, and they cost cycles to handle. The only benefit
is that you don't have to route all GIC input signals to the GPIO block.
You just route a single one, and slap the mux next to it.

But hey, too late. Hopefully someone at ST is reading this and will feed
back to the design teams.

         M.