* [RFC] manage multiple entries of scratch page with scatterlist
@ 2014-06-11 23:49 Siluvery, Arun
From: Siluvery, Arun @ 2014-06-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Hi,

I am working on a feature to implement support for gem objects to have
variable size and realized a problem with the current implementation.
Please advice me how to handle this situation efficiently.

In this implementation the backing store of the object is replaced with
scratch pages according to input range; Initially I store table entries
in an array, replace relevant entries with scratch pages and I am using
sg_alloc_table_from_pages() to create new sg_table which is assigned to
the object. This implementation works as expected but I realized it is
wasting memory as scratch page count increases.

Consider the worst case scenario where all pages are replaced with
scratch pages.

The fn sg_alloc_table_from_pages() first computes the number of chunks
based on the page frame numbers. PFNs that are consecutive form a chunk
and it allocates scatterlists for each chunk which form the sg_table.

In case of scratch pages they get the same pfn for each page and
sg_alloc_table_from_pages() considers them not part of a chunk and it
allocates scatterlist structure for each scratch page which takes lot of
memory as the object size increases.

I have to tried to modify sg_alloc_table_from_pages() implementation to
check for scratch pfn and consider them as single chunk but after the
update when iterating through for_each_sg_page() I am seeing different
page addresses instead of all pointing to scratch page.

Eg. In an object of size 8 pages, scratch_page = ffffea0001120000 and
pfn: 0x00044800, the result I get is,

page[0]: ffffea0001120000, pfn: 0x00044800,
page[1]: ffffea0001120040, pfn: 0x00044801,
page[2]: ffffea0001120080, pfn: 0x00044802,
page[3]: ffffea00011200c0, pfn: 0x00044803,
page[4]: ffffea0001120100, pfn: 0x00044804,
page[5]: ffffea0001120140, pfn: 0x00044805,
page[6]: ffffea0001120180, pfn: 0x00044806,
page[7]: ffffea00011201c0, pfn: 0x00044807,

How to manage multiple pages that have same pfn with a single
scatterlist and still have it's length equal to (PAGE_SIZE*chunk_size)?

I would really appreciate any suggestions to improve this implementation.

regards
Arun

* Re: [RFC] manage multiple entries of scratch page with scatterlist
@ 2014-06-12  7:26 ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2014-06-12  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siluvery, Arun; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:49:47AM +0100, Siluvery, Arun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a feature to implement support for gem objects to have
> variable size and realized a problem with the current implementation.
> Please advice me how to handle this situation efficiently.
>
> In this implementation the backing store of the object is replaced with
> scratch pages according to input range; Initially I store table entries in
> an array, replace relevant entries with scratch pages and I am using
> sg_alloc_table_from_pages() to create new sg_table which is assigned to the
> object. This implementation works as expected but I realized it is wasting
> memory as scratch page count increases.
>
> Consider the worst case scenario where all pages are replaced with scratch
> pages.
>
> The fn sg_alloc_table_from_pages() first computes the number of chunks based
> on the page frame numbers. PFNs that are consecutive form a chunk and it
> allocates scatterlists for each chunk which form the sg_table.
>
> In case of scratch pages they get the same pfn for each page and
> sg_alloc_table_from_pages() considers them not part of a chunk and it
> allocates scatterlist structure for each scratch page which takes lot of
> memory as the object size increases.
>
> I have to tried to modify sg_alloc_table_from_pages() implementation to
> check for scratch pfn and consider them as single chunk but after the update
> when iterating through for_each_sg_page() I am seeing different page
> addresses instead of all pointing to scratch page.
>
> Eg. In an object of size 8 pages, scratch_page = ffffea0001120000 and pfn:
> 0x00044800, the result I get is,
>
> page[0]: ffffea0001120000, pfn: 0x00044800,
> page[1]: ffffea0001120040, pfn: 0x00044801,
> page[2]: ffffea0001120080, pfn: 0x00044802,
> page[3]: ffffea00011200c0, pfn: 0x00044803,
> page[4]: ffffea0001120100, pfn: 0x00044804,
> page[5]: ffffea0001120140, pfn: 0x00044805,
> page[6]: ffffea0001120180, pfn: 0x00044806,
> page[7]: ffffea00011201c0, pfn: 0x00044807,
>
> How to manage multiple pages that have same pfn with a single scatterlist
> and still have it's length equal to (PAGE_SIZE*chunk_size)?
>
> I would really appreciate any suggestions to improve this implementation.

sg tables don't have the idea of repeating a given page, since it doesn't
make a lot of sense. Is the memory overhead really a big problem?

Extending the sg implementation with a flag somewhere to repeat a given
page instead of incrementing might be possible. But will be a bit of
effort to push that through the process since we'll touch code outside of
drm.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: [RFC] manage multiple entries of scratch page with scatterlist
@ 2014-06-12 11:36   ` Siluvery, Arun
From: Siluvery, Arun @ 2014-06-12 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: intel-gfx

On 12/06/2014 08:26, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:49:47AM +0100, Siluvery, Arun wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a feature to implement support for gem objects to have
>> variable size and realized a problem with the current implementation.
>> Please advice me how to handle this situation efficiently.
>>
>> In this implementation the backing store of the object is replaced with
>> scratch pages according to input range; Initially I store table entries in
>> an array, replace relevant entries with scratch pages and I am using
>> sg_alloc_table_from_pages() to create new sg_table which is assigned to the
>> object. This implementation works as expected but I realized it is wasting
>> memory as scratch page count increases.
>>
>> Consider the worst case scenario where all pages are replaced with scratch
>> pages.
>>
>> The fn sg_alloc_table_from_pages() first computes the number of chunks based
>> on the page frame numbers. PFNs that are consecutive form a chunk and it
>> allocates scatterlists for each chunk which form the sg_table.
>>
>> In case of scratch pages they get the same pfn for each page and
>> sg_alloc_table_from_pages() considers them not part of a chunk and it
>> allocates scatterlist structure for each scratch page which takes lot of
>> memory as the object size increases.
>>
>> I have to tried to modify sg_alloc_table_from_pages() implementation to
>> check for scratch pfn and consider them as single chunk but after the update
>> when iterating through for_each_sg_page() I am seeing different page
>> addresses instead of all pointing to scratch page.
>>
>> Eg. In an object of size 8 pages, scratch_page = ffffea0001120000 and pfn:
>> 0x00044800, the result I get is,
>>
>> page[0]: ffffea0001120000, pfn: 0x00044800,
>> page[1]: ffffea0001120040, pfn: 0x00044801,
>> page[2]: ffffea0001120080, pfn: 0x00044802,
>> page[3]: ffffea00011200c0, pfn: 0x00044803,
>> page[4]: ffffea0001120100, pfn: 0x00044804,
>> page[5]: ffffea0001120140, pfn: 0x00044805,
>> page[6]: ffffea0001120180, pfn: 0x00044806,
>> page[7]: ffffea00011201c0, pfn: 0x00044807,
>>
>> How to manage multiple pages that have same pfn with a single scatterlist
>> and still have it's length equal to (PAGE_SIZE*chunk_size)?
>>
>> I would really appreciate any suggestions to improve this implementation.
>
> sg tables don't have the idea of repeating a given page, since it doesn't
> make a lot of sense. Is the memory overhead really a big problem?

One other use case where it can be useful is for the creation of
blanking buffer. Considering a frame buffer size of 8MB = 2K pages, each
scatterlist is 32 bytes which takes 64K for an 8MB object.
I think this overhead is acceptable which also simplifies the
implementation.

> Extending the sg implementation with a flag somewhere to repeat a given
> page instead of incrementing might be possible. But will be a bit of
> effort to push that through the process since we'll touch code outside of
> drm.
I will explore this option if we see any issues with the overhead.
Thank you for your comments.

regards
Arun

@ 2014-06-12 11:49     ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2014-06-12 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siluvery, Arun; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Siluvery, Arun
<arun.siluvery@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> Extending the sg implementation with a flag somewhere to repeat a given
>> page instead of incrementing might be possible. But will be a bit of
>> effort to push that through the process since we'll touch code outside of
>> drm.
>
> I will explore this option if we see any issues with the overhead.
> Thank you for your comments.

Yeah definitely only do this on top of the basic implementation to
avoid blocking the feature on a drawn-out discussion about the sg
changes.
-Daniel