* [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-10  9:18 Marco Tessore
From: Marco Tessore @ 2014-06-10  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,
I have a problem, you've probably already dealt with in the past:
when I debug with gdb / gdbserver, if I execute step by step while I
invoke the call rt_task_spawn, gdb freezes with no chance of recovery.

Since I have seen that you have already faced the problem a few years
ago, I was wondering if you had found a solution.

kind regards
Marco Tessore

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-10 20:02 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-06-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Tessore, xenomai

On 06/10/2014 11:18 AM, Marco Tessore wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem, you've probably already dealt with in the past:
> when I debug with gdb / gdbserver, if I execute step by step while I
> invoke the call rt_task_spawn, gdb freezes with no chance of recovery.
>
> Since I have seen that you have already faced the problem a few years
> ago, I was wondering if you had found a solution.

Did you try xenomai 2.6 git? An issue was fixed very recently with
regard to gdb (it is actually the latest commit on this branch).

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-12 13:38   ` Marco Tessore
From: Marco Tessore @ 2014-06-12 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, xenomai

Thank you, I will try that commit.
But I have another question about it:
does the commit involve the patch to the kernel?
Since my kernel was patched using i-pipe git for the vanilla 3.10, but
applied to a customized version of 3.11,
if the commit involves the kernel patch, it can be difficult for me to
upgrade.

I have found another problem with gdb:
when I have multiple tasks pending on rt_sem_p,
if I change the state of breakpoints, the function can return error code
-38.
May be that the same commit can resolve both problems.

Thank you very much
Marco Tessore

@ 2014-06-12 14:31     ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2014-06-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Tessore, Gilles Chanteperdrix, xenomai

On 06/12/2014 03:38 PM, Marco Tessore wrote:
> Thank you, I will try that commit.
> But I have another question about it:
> does the commit involve the patch to the kernel?

Yes.

> Since my kernel was patched using i-pipe git for the vanilla 3.10, but
> applied to a customized version of 3.11,
> if the commit involves the kernel patch, it can be difficult for me to
> upgrade.

There is no other option.

> I have found another problem with gdb:
> when I have multiple tasks pending on rt_sem_p,
> if I change the state of breakpoints, the function can return error code
> -38.
> May be that the same commit can resolve both problems.

It most likely does.

> Thank you very much
> Marco Tessore
>
> Il 10/06/2014 22:02, Gilles Chanteperdrix ha scritto:
>> On 06/10/2014 11:18 AM, Marco Tessore wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I have a problem, you've probably already dealt with in the past:
>>> when I debug with gdb / gdbserver, if I execute step by step while I
>>> invoke the call rt_task_spawn, gdb freezes with no chance of recovery.
>>>
>>> Since I have seen that you have already faced the problem a few years
>>> ago, I was wondering if you had found a solution.
>> Did you try xenomai 2.6 git? An issue was fixed very recently with
>> regard to gdb (it is actually the latest commit on this branch).

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-12 17:58     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-06-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Tessore, xenomai

On 06/12/2014 03:38 PM, Marco Tessore wrote:
> Thank you, I will try that commit.
> But I have another question about it:
> does the commit involve the patch to the kernel?
> Since my kernel was patched using i-pipe git for the vanilla 3.10, but
> applied to a customized version of 3.11,
> if the commit involves the kernel patch, it can be difficult for me to
> upgrade.

If you kept the ipipe kernel separated from Xenomai kernel sources, the
change is a change in xenomai sources, so the update should be painless.
If you put the xenomai-patched kernel under source control, then it will
be harder.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-12 20:51       ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2014-06-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, Marco Tessore, xenomai

On 06/12/2014 07:58 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 03:38 PM, Marco Tessore wrote:
>> Thank you, I will try that commit.
>> But I have another question about it:
>> does the commit involve the patch to the kernel?
>> Since my kernel was patched using i-pipe git for the vanilla 3.10, but
>> applied to a customized version of 3.11,
>> if the commit involves the kernel patch, it can be difficult for me to
>> upgrade.
>
> If you kept the ipipe kernel separated from Xenomai kernel sources, the
> change is a change in xenomai sources, so the update should be painless.
> If you put the xenomai-patched kernel under source control, then it will
> be harder.

ENOSYS would rather be symptomatic of this bug which is ARM-specific:
http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.10&id=e410a5e77323d53277d625e5dafe166cdcd64afb

OTOH, the patch below fixes a spurious EINTR error within the task
creation syscall, which may well end up in a lockup:
http://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-2.6.git/commit/?id=589882956280d5cb4fdc181a5fcd5ae1188ab6ed

This is one of the situations where knowing the CPU architecture
involved would help a lot.

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-12 21:45         ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-06-12 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Marco Tessore, xenomai

On 06/12/2014 10:51 PM, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 07:58 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> On 06/12/2014 03:38 PM, Marco Tessore wrote:
>>> Thank you, I will try that commit.
>>> But I have another question about it:
>>> does the commit involve the patch to the kernel?
>>> Since my kernel was patched using i-pipe git for the vanilla 3.10, but
>>> applied to a customized version of 3.11,
>>> if the commit involves the kernel patch, it can be difficult for me to
>>> upgrade.
>>
>> If you kept the ipipe kernel separated from Xenomai kernel sources, the
>> change is a change in xenomai sources, so the update should be painless.
>> If you put the xenomai-patched kernel under source control, then it will
>> be harder.
>>

> ENOSYS would rather be symptomatic of this bug which is ARM-specific:
> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.10&id=e410a5e77323d53277d625e5dafe166cdcd64afb

Indeed. This fix for 3.10 does not seem right though. The real fix is
to move the local_restart jump label, as in:

http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.14&id=d7a5e4762535f55bfff8eafbf1c1dde214d09bd6

> OTOH, the patch below fixes a spurious EINTR error within the task
> creation syscall, which may well end up in a lockup:
> http://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-2.6.git/commit/?id=589882956280d5cb4fdc181a5fcd5ae1188ab6ed
>
> This is one of the situations where knowing the CPU architecture
> involved would help a lot.

Yes, indeed, should have directed to the "Request for information" page.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-13  5:28           ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2014-06-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, Marco Tessore, xenomai

On 06/12/2014 11:45 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 10:51 PM, Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>>
>>> If you kept the ipipe kernel separated from Xenomai kernel sources, the
>>> change is a change in xenomai sources, so the update should be painless.
>>> If you put the xenomai-patched kernel under source control, then it will
>>> be harder.
>>>

>> ENOSYS would rather be symptomatic of this bug which is ARM-specific:
>> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.10&id=e410a5e77323d53277d625e5dafe166cdcd64afb
>
> Indeed. This fix for 3.10 does not seem right though. The real fix is
> to move the local_restart jump label, as in:
>
> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.14&id=d7a5e4762535f55bfff8eafbf1c1dde214d09bd6

Will you issue a supplemental patch?

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] Gdb freezes when stepping through rt_task_spawn.
@ 2014-06-13  9:21             ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-06-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Marco Tessore, xenomai

On 06/13/2014 07:28 AM, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 11:45 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

>>> ENOSYS would rather be symptomatic of this bug which is ARM-specific:
>>> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.10&id=e410a5e77323d53277d625e5dafe166cdcd64afb
>>
>> Indeed. This fix for 3.10 does not seem right though. The real fix is
>> to move the local_restart jump label, as in:
>>
>> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-3.14&id=d7a5e4762535f55bfff8eafbf1c1dde214d09bd6
>
> Will you issue a supplemental patch?

Done, I have pushed my branch which has other changes, merged with the
current state of the ipipe-3.10 branch.

--
                                                                Gilles.