From: Alan Goodman <notifications@yescomputersolutions.com>
To: lartc@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HFSC not working as expected
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 00:01:56 +0000	[thread overview]

On 06/07/14 23:24, Andy Furniss wrote:
> Alan Goodman wrote:
>
>> http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id\x140466829057682641064
>>

> A further thought, having just reminded my self how long the TBB speed
> test upload takes -
>
> If you were using sfq on upload it looks like the spikes correspond well
> with perturb 10. Historically sfqs hash was quite weak, so perturb was
> usefull, but it got changed to jhash ages ago so is less needed, or at
> least not that short, as it causes packet reordering leading to a bit of
> disruption.
>
> If you weren't using sfq for up then ignore the above :-) it's possible
> that I am out of date WRT sfq reordering and it has been fixed.

I had also noticed the rhthmic nature in the ping roundtrip also.

I have tried removing perturb it doesnt appear to make much difference
on either front.

My htb based script also dies in a fiery mess with the excessive p2p test.

I have three gut feelings at the moment:

Firstly, With massive flow counts - at least for bittorent - the amount
of small packets being uploaded is effectively saturating the upload.

Secondly, as flow counts continue to increase upload is becoming
insufficient to keep up with the rate of small packets which is causing
the massive latency spike I am seeing.

Thirdly, my classifier might be missing some of the important ACK
packets...  Should packets like the one listed below be getting prioritised?
IN=eth1 OUT= MAC\0:a0:c9:81:c9:d5:f0:de:f1:f8:83:52:08:00
SRC\x192.168.25.41 DST=5.9.123.39 LENR TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTLd
IDT864 DF PROTO=TCP SPTQ413 DPT9415 WINDOW\x1379 RES=0x00 ACK URGP=0

Many thanks everybody for all the extremely valuable input received so
far, I think we're just about on the home straight now!

Alan