From: Dimitris Kotsonis <dkotsonis@gmail.com>
To: lartc@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SFQ + speed caps
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 16:56:22 +0000	[thread overview]

On 8/7/2014 6:16 PM, Remy Mudingay wrote:
> Hi Dimitris,
>
> I disagree. Firstly, if the total number of PC's on your LAN is 30,
> then set the rate (gurantee) of class 3 (capped PC) to 1/30 (3.3%).

But the whole point is that I don't know how many PCs are active in the
lan at any given point. When I am saying that 30 PCs use the line what I
am saying is that 30 PCS are battling for bandwidth right this instant.
I am not saying that 30 PCs are sitting behind the router. A few seconds
later there could be 10 PCs, or 50. For example, if a minute later only
3 PCs are active then the capped PC should be allotted 1/3 of the
bandwidth in class 3 (up from 1/30 it was a minute ago).

Remember that SFQ (hashed on ips instead of flows) can adjust itself
automatically to the number of currently active PCs and how much
bandwidth each should receive. This is not the case with HTB where
percentages have to be plugged in beforehand.

I hope this makes it clear (and I have not misunderstood what you said)

Regards,

Dimitris