From: Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout@mind.be>
To: buildroot@busybox.net
Subject: [Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Your build results for 2017-04-09
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:14:08 +0200	[thread overview]

On 13-04-17 07:34, Sam Bobroff wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:51:41AM +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>>

>> On 11-04-17 14:43, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
[snip]
>>> There is a -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib in the link command link that isn't
>>> correct. This means that the compiler will try to link against the host
>>> ncurses if available, which is bad.
>>
>>  I suspect that that is there just because ncurses wasn't detected. But I could
>> be wrong.
>
> (I saw the bad rpath even on my successful builds -- I'll see if it's
> easy to fix, since I'm looking at it anyway.)

 I don't think the rpath is wrong. For the target, it *is* indeed /usr/lib.
AFAIU the RPATH is *not* used as an extra -L equivalent at link time, except
when -rpath-link is given.

> So it seems fairly clear now: there is a circular dependency in that set
> of packages and GNU make's behaviour is to drop a dependency and
> continue building, so we end up building readline configured with
> ncurses, with no ncurses, so it fails.

 Yes, Matt is looking at it.

> (IMHO this is very poor behaviour from GNU make: it seems to be
> knowingly producing a broken build but exiting with success, and the
> only indication is one fairly innocuous looking line of output. There is
> no option to convert that warning into a fatal error! I even checked the
> source :-( )
>
> So, what do we do? It seems like it would be nice to catch any circular
> dependency but is there any good way to do that? I don't like the idea
> of running make under grep looking for "errors", or trying to manualy
> detect circular dependencies either... Has this been explored already?

 Yes it would be nice to error out on circular dependencies. Also in Kconfig, by
the way.

 Our graph-depends detects circular dependencies in the Makefile, so we could
add it to autobuild-run (prior to the build).

 For Kconfig circular dependencies, I think we can only do string search. But
these are usually detected manually pretty quickly. And are also better detected
with a lot of 'make randconfig', that is going to show problems a lot sooner
than the autobuilders.

 Regards,
 Arnout