* pushing SOC specific Trigger provider driver to upstream kernel
@ 2014-08-31 14:50 Naidu Tellapati
From: Naidu Tellapati @ 2014-08-31 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio, jic23

Hi Mr. Jonathan and all,=0A=
=0A=
My name is Naidu Tellapati from India. I work for Imagination Technologies,=
 India. Thanks in advance for your help in this regard.=0A=
=0A=
After going through some of the emails in the Linux-IIO email archive, we h=
ave taken the following approach to implement our Linux IIO based ADC drive=
r.=0A=
=0A=
We are planning to have two drivers as part of our implementation.=0A=
=0A=
1. Timer's Periodic Interrupt Trigger Provider IIO driver (This driver uses=
 our SOC specific Timer's periodic interrupt)=0A=
=0A=
2. The generic IIO ADC driver (This ADC driver uses the periodic Timer Inte=
rrupt Trigger provided by the above driver)=0A=
=0A=
The plan is to push both the drivers upstream to kernel.org. Now please sug=
gest us, do you consider SOC specific Trigger Provider driver as well for p=
ushing upstream to kernel.org ?=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
Thanks in advance,=0A=
=0A=
Regards,=0A=
Naidu.=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=

* Re: pushing SOC specific Trigger provider driver to upstream kernel
@ 2014-08-31 15:50 ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2014-08-31 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naidu Tellapati, linux-iio, Lars-Peter Clausen

On 31/08/14 15:50, Naidu Tellapati wrote:
> Hi Mr. Jonathan and all,

For now just cc'd Lars-Peter on the basis Analog have a very similar timer based trigger (still in staging)
and I suspect he has some thoughts on this.

Lars, want to comment?

@ 2014-09-02 15:57   ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2014-09-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Cameron, Naidu Tellapati, linux-iio

On 08/31/2014 05:50 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 31/08/14 15:50, Naidu Tellapati wrote:
>> Hi Mr. Jonathan and all,
>>
> For now just cc'd Lars-Peter on the basis Analog have a very similar timer based trigger (still in staging)
> and I suspect he has some thoughts on this.
>
> Lars, want to comment?

The plan for that driver is to replace it with a generic driver that uses
the PWM framework. What we really want from this driver is that it generates
a waveform on a pin which can be used as a conversion start signal.

If you just want to use a timer chip without a PWM waveform write a
clockchip/clocksource driver for your timer IP and then use hrtimer as a
generic IIO trigger. Which brings us back to the old problem that we still
need to create the infrastructure to instantiate hrtimer triggers.

- Lars