From: "Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@kuentos.guam.net>
To: James Hawtin <oolon@ankh.org>,
	LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Replace small drive with bigger, using LVM?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 23:34:48 +1000	[thread overview]

On 10 Sep 2014 at 14:03, James Hawtin wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:03:00 +0100
From:           	James Hawtin <oolon@ankh.org>
To:             	LVM general discussion and development
<linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject:        	Re: [linux-lvm] Replace small drive with bigger, using
LVM?
Send reply to:  	LVM general discussion and development
<linux-lvm@redhat.com>

<mailto:linux-lvm-request@redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> On 10/09/14 13:35, Fran Garcia wrote:
> >
> > Also note you should be using parted rather than fdisk for sdb.
> > You'll need to enable GPT support to partition anything larger than
> > 2Tb.
> >

> Very good point.
>
> James

Another issue that you may run into is that the grub boot menu uses the uuid
of the disk for mount instead of the older /dev/sda format, so you may have
to manually reset the grub.cfg or menu.lst depending on your setup.

In the past I have done clones of the smaller disk to larger, and then just
created new partition for the extra space. A bit level copy will also set the
uuid the same as the original disk. So, look at your current boot config file,
and see if it has uuid options.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     19531221.297211   |   SETI        32889183.808174
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    32404680.703230