From: Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@gmail.com>
To: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@gmail.com>,
	dsterba@suse.cz, Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>,
	linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Moving an entire subvol?
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 16:13:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2014-12-02 10:11, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM, David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> wrote:
>>
>> A subvolume is also a snapshotting barrier, so it's convenient to create
>> subvolumes in well-known paths that contain data that should not be
>> rolled back (/var/log, /srv, bootloader).
>
> Hi David -- a real honour to meet one of the core Btrfs/SuSE (heh,
> when that was the spelling!) guys!
>
> That makes sense. Is there anywhere that the "official" SuSE
> recommended subvol layout is mentioned that I can refer to without
> having to start up an installer? (I currently chose ext4 for / for
> other reasons so I can't refer to my layout.)
>
> I am now reading a SuSECon 2013 presentation by Nyers and Schnell but
> they are very generic about the recommendations.

Here's my approach to things:
In the top level of the btrfs filesystem I use for /, I have a subvolume
called /root,  This is what get's mount on /.  I also have a separate
subvolume called /home for the home directories when I have those on the
same FS.  I place /boot on an entirely separate filesystem because I use
a bunch of mount options there that would break or slow down other
filesystems (most notably, noexec, nosuid, nodev, and sync).  Within
both /home and /root, I use a handful of subvolumes to control what gets
saved in a snapshot, the most notable examples being /var//log,
/usr/portage, and /home/austin/dropbox.

As far as snapshots go, I take a snapshot of /root every time I boot,
and keep the past 2 days worth, take a snapshot of /home hourly, and
keep a weeks worth, and do a snapshot of both when I generate a system
backup.  I generally don't do snapshots of /boot, as I keep around the
previous few kernel versions anyway, and mark things there as immutable
so that I can't accidentally mess them up.