From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@eggo.org>
To: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>,
	Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>,
	kvm@vger.kernel.org, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: usb audio device troubles
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 10:39:08 -0500	[thread overview]

On 12/3/2014 3:52 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Eric are you using usb-host redirection, or Spice's usb network redir ?

This little bit of time this morning learning about spice and the
network redirection. It worked for about half an hour and then failed in
the same way the host redirection failed. The audio device would appear
for a while, I would try to use it and then it would disappear.

The spice model has some very nice features and that I could, in
theory,  have a  working speech recognition engine somewhere on my <air
quotes>cloud</air quotes> and then be able to use it via spice on any
desktop I happen to be located in front of. it would also work nicely
with my original idea of putting a working KVM virtual machine on and an
e-sata SSD external drive and be able to bring my working speech
recognition environment with me without having cart a laptop.

I hope you can see that this could be generalized into a nicely portable
accessibility solution where the accessibility environment moves with
the disabled user and removes the need to make every machine have user
specific accessibility software and configuration. Yes, it does impose a
requirement the KVM runs everywhere but, we know that's the future
anyway so why fight it :-)

Anyway, I think if we can solve this USB audio device problem then I'll
be very happy and can make further progress towards my goal.

Thank you so very much for the help so far and I hope we can fix this
USB problem.