* GCM aesni and 192/256-bit keys
@ 2015-01-05 10:06 Herbert Xu
From: Herbert Xu @ 2015-01-05 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tadeusz:

It appears that the GCM aesni implementation does not support
192/256-bit keys.  This is not allowed as accelerated drivers
must support everything supported by the software implementation.

Could we add 192/256-bit support to it please? If for some reason
this cannot be done then at least implement a software fallback
so that it continues to work.

Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

* Re: GCM aesni and 192/256-bit keys
@ 2015-01-05 17:51 ` Tadeusz Struk
From: Tadeusz Struk @ 2015-01-05 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/05/2015 02:06 AM, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Hi Tadeusz:
>
> It appears that the GCM aesni implementation does not support
> 192/256-bit keys.  This is not allowed as accelerated drivers
> must support everything supported by the software implementation.
>
> Could we add 192/256-bit support to it please? If for some reason
> this cannot be done then at least implement a software fallback
> so that it continues to work.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Herbert,
Yes, you are right. I'll look into it.
Thanks,
Tadeusz

* Re: GCM aesni and 192/256-bit keys
@ 2015-01-06 23:18   ` Herbert Xu
From: Herbert Xu @ 2015-01-06 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 09:51:35AM -0800, Tadeusz Struk wrote:
> On 01/05/2015 02:06 AM, Herbert Xu wrote:
> >
> > It appears that the GCM aesni implementation does not support
> > 192/256-bit keys.  This is not allowed as accelerated drivers
> > must support everything supported by the software implementation.
> >
> > Could we add 192/256-bit support to it please? If for some reason
> > this cannot be done then at least implement a software fallback
> > so that it continues to work.

> Yes, you are right. I'll look into it.

While you're at it, can you please run some speed tests to show
that this is actually faster than the generic gcm on top of
ctr-aes-aesni and ghash-clmulni?

If it isn't any faster (it really shouldn't be as far as I can
see) then we can just kill it.

Thanks!
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>