* adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-23 17:24 Jim Abernathy
From: Jim Abernathy @ 2015-01-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I'm starting a project mostly for self-education.  I have already done the project using Ubuntu Server 14.04 using a Intel NUC and a Pandaboard as targets.  Now I want to see how easy it is to move it to Yocto.

Starting with the NUC, I can boot Dizzy 1.7.1 core-image-minimal and core-image-sato, both built with bitbake and not the prebuilt images. However, core-image-minimal doesn't have WiFi and core-image-sato does, but I don't need all the GUI stuff.  It's a headless application.

So what is recommended; eliminating the GUI from sato or adding wifi and wpa-supplicant, etc to minimal??  Also any pointers to how to do the adding/subtracting would be most helpful.

Once this is working all I have to do is put apache-tomcat, and openjdk-7-jre, then my application.

thanks, JimA

* Re: adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-23 17:37 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2015-01-23 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2015-01-23 10:24, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I'm starting a project mostly for self-education.  I have already done the project using Ubuntu Server 14.04 using a Intel NUC and a Pandaboard as targets.  Now I want to see how
> easy it is to move it to Yocto.
>
> Starting with the NUC, I can boot Dizzy 1.7.1 core-image-minimal and core-image-sato, both built with bitbake and not the prebuilt images. However, core-image-minimal doesn't have
> WiFi and core-image-sato does, but I don't need all the GUI stuff.  It's a headless application.
>
> So what is recommended; eliminating the GUI from sato or adding wifi and wpa-supplicant, etc to minimal??  Also any pointers to how to do the adding/subtracting would be most helpful.
>
> Once this is working all I have to do is put apache-tomcat, and openjdk-7-jre, then my application.

We use just iw & wpa-supplicant and set up the configuration
files manually (e.g. the wpa-supplicant configurations).

* Re: adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-26 13:29   ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 12:37 PM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-01-23 10:24, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> I'm starting a project mostly for self-education.  I have already done the project using Ubuntu Server 14.04 using a Intel NUC and a Pandaboard as targets.  Now I want to see how
>> easy it is to move it to Yocto.
>>
>> Starting with the NUC, I can boot Dizzy 1.7.1 core-image-minimal and core-image-sato, both built with bitbake and not the prebuilt images. However, core-image-minimal doesn't have
>> WiFi and core-image-sato does, but I don't need all the GUI stuff.  It's a headless application.
>>
>> So what is recommended; eliminating the GUI from sato or adding wifi and wpa-supplicant, etc to minimal??  Also any pointers to how to do the adding/subtracting would be most helpful.
>>
>> Once this is working all I have to do is put apache-tomcat, and openjdk-7-jre, then my application.
>
> We use just iw & wpa-supplicant and set up the configuration
> files manually (e.g. the wpa-supplicant configurations).

Could you help with a little more details.  What I envision is adding an append statement of some kind to local.conf to load in the wireless related files to core-image-minimal, same with openjdk-7-jre and tomcat7, but my first efforts have generated some unintelligible error for me.  So that’s why I’m looking for direction on where to start with this.

@ 2015-01-26 13:49     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2015-01-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2015-01-26 06:29, James Abernathy wrote:

>> On Jan 23, 2015, at 12:37 PM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-01-23 10:24, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>> I'm starting a project mostly for self-education.  I have already done the project using Ubuntu Server 14.04 using a Intel NUC and a Pandaboard as targets.  Now I want to see how
>>> easy it is to move it to Yocto.
>>>
>>> Starting with the NUC, I can boot Dizzy 1.7.1 core-image-minimal and core-image-sato, both built with bitbake and not the prebuilt images. However, core-image-minimal doesn't have
>>> WiFi and core-image-sato does, but I don't need all the GUI stuff.  It's a headless application.
>>>
>>> So what is recommended; eliminating the GUI from sato or adding wifi and wpa-supplicant, etc to minimal??  Also any pointers to how to do the adding/subtracting would be most helpful.
>>>
>>> Once this is working all I have to do is put apache-tomcat, and openjdk-7-jre, then my application.
>>
>> We use just iw & wpa-supplicant and set up the configuration
>> files manually (e.g. the wpa-supplicant configurations).
>
> Could you help with a little more details.  What I envision is adding an append statement of some kind to local.conf to load in the wireless related files to core-image-minimal, same with openjdk-7-jre and tomcat7, but my first efforts have generated some unintelligible error for me.  So that’s why I’m looking for direction on where to start with this.

What was the error you got?  I'll bet it was for 'iw' which
is a package from meta-oe, so you'll need to add that layer

Once you've added the meta-oe layer, you should be able to
put this line in your local.conf:
   CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " iw wpa-supplicant"

* Re: adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-26 15:26       ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 8:49 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-01-26 06:29, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> We use just iw & wpa-supplicant and set up the configuration
>>> files manually (e.g. the wpa-supplicant configurations).
>>
>> Could you help with a little more details.  What I envision is adding an append statement of some kind to local.conf to load in the wireless related files to core-image-minimal, same with openjdk-7-jre and tomcat7, but my first efforts have generated some unintelligible error for me.  So that’s why I’m looking for direction on where to start with this.
>
> What was the error you got?  I'll bet it was for 'iw' which
> is a package from meta-oe, so you'll need to add that layer
>
> Once you've added the meta-oe layer, you should be able to
> put this line in your local.conf:
>  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " iw wpa-supplicant”

Okay, what I don’t get is the fact that without any additional layers, bitbake core-image-sato builds all the WiFi features I need.  bitbake core-image-minimal does not.  So I’m thinking that there is some CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL statement that can just add what is needed without extra layers.

I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me right now.

@ 2015-01-26 15:52         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2015-01-26 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2015-01-26 08:26, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> Could you help with a little more details.  What I envision is adding an append statement of some kind to local.conf to load in the wireless related files to core-image-minimal,
>>> same with openjdk-7-jre and tomcat7, but my first efforts have generated some unintelligible error for me.  So that’s why I’m looking for direction on where to start with this.
>>
>> What was the error you got?  I'll bet it was for 'iw' which
>> is a package from meta-oe, so you'll need to add that layer
>>
>> Once you've added the meta-oe layer, you should be able to
>> put this line in your local.conf:
>>  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " iw wpa-supplicant”
>>
> Okay, what I don’t get is the fact that without any additional layers, bitbake core-image-sato builds all the WiFi features I need.  bitbake core-image-minimal does not.  So I’m
> thinking that there is some CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL statement that can just add what is needed without extra layers.
>
> I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me right now.

Try using
   CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi"
which will bring in 'wireless-tools' and 'wpa-supplicant'.

I prefer 'iw' to 'wireless-tools' as it is newer and [IMO]
simpler to use.

* Re: adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-26 16:09           ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:52 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-01-26 08:26, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> What was the error you got?  I'll bet it was for 'iw' which
>>> is a package from meta-oe, so you'll need to add that layer
>>>
>>> Once you've added the meta-oe layer, you should be able to
>>> put this line in your local.conf:
>>> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " iw wpa-supplicant”
>>>
>> Okay, what I don’t get is the fact that without any additional layers, bitbake core-image-sato builds all the WiFi features I need.  bitbake core-image-minimal does not.  So I’m
>> thinking that there is some CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL statement that can just add what is needed without extra layers.
>>
>> I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me right now.
>
> Try using
>  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi"
> which will bring in 'wireless-tools' and 'wpa-supplicant'.
>
> I prefer 'iw' to 'wireless-tools' as it is newer and [IMO]
> simpler to use.

Thanks, I found that I can clean build with just the wpa-supplicant added and I’m hoping that will bring in the wifi drivers.  If it does, all I want to do is edit the /etc/interfaces file with the Static IP of the wlan0, the static IP of the eth0 and the wpa-xxx for the WKPA2_PSK information.

Do I really need the tools?  I don’t need CLI commands to change any network parameters later.

@ 2015-01-26 19:31             ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

I get a clean build when I add: CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi”

However, I have no wireless drivers.  I must have to add something to add the drivers and firmware to the kernel.  Not sure what though.

Jim A

@ 2015-01-26 20:28               ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2015-01-26 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Abernathy; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

On 26 Jan 2015, at 19:31, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:

> I get a clean build when I add: CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi”
>
> However, I have no wireless drivers.  I must have to add something to add the drivers and firmware to the kernel.  Not sure what though.

I'm not an expert here, but I think that adding kernel-modules and linux-firmware to your extra_install should give you what you need.

> Jim A
>
>> On Jan 26, 2015, at 11:09 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> Try using
>>> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi"
>>> which will bring in 'wireless-tools' and 'wpa-supplicant'.
>>>
>>> I prefer 'iw' to 'wireless-tools' as it is newer and [IMO]
>>> simpler to use.
>>>
>> Thanks, I found that I can clean build with just the wpa-supplicant added and I’m hoping that will bring in the wifi drivers.  If it does, all I want to do is edit the /etc/interfaces file with the Static IP of the wlan0, the static IP of the eth0 and the wpa-xxx for the WKPA2_PSK information.
>>
>> Do I really need the tools?  I don’t need CLI commands to change any network parameters later.
>>
>> Jim A
>>
>>> --

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!

* Re: adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-26 20:36                 ` Moore, Thomas (FtWorth)
From: Moore, Thomas (FtWorth) @ 2015-01-26 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp, James Abernathy; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

Try building core-image-base or adding packagegroup-base-extended to your IMAGE_INSTALL. This should add the modules and firmware.

core-image-minimal is just that and only includes just enough to boot the system.

P.S. if you add "wifi" to your DISTRO_FEATURES, then packagegroup-base-wifi should automatically get added to the image. Checkout meta/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-base.bb to see how that works.

Thomas

@ 2015-01-26 20:52                   ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moore, Thomas (FtWorth); +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 3:36 PM, Moore, Thomas (FtWorth) <Thomas.Moore2@ATK.COM> wrote:
>
> Try building core-image-base or adding packagegroup-base-extended to your IMAGE_INSTALL. This should add the modules and firmware.
>
> core-image-minimal is just that and only includes just enough to boot the system.
>
> P.S. if you add "wifi" to your DISTRO_FEATURES, then packagegroup-base-wifi should automatically get added to the image. Checkout meta/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-base.bb to see how that works.
>
> Thomas

Interesting!  are we talking about doing this in the local.conf? or are we talking about modifying existing recipes?  I’d like to do this cleanly and not mess up what’s in the default files.  Maybe create my own layer??

Jim A

@ 2015-01-26 21:02                 ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 3:28 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:
>

> On 26 Jan 2015, at 19:31, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com <mailto:jfabernathy@outlook.com>> wrote:
>
>> I get a clean build when I add: CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi”
>>
>> However, I have no wireless drivers.  I must have to add something to add the drivers and firmware to the kernel.  Not sure what though.
>
> I'm not an expert here, but I think that adding kernel-modules and linux-firmware to your extra_install should give you what you need.

Well you are right!  All I added was:
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += “ packagegroup-base-wifi kernel-modules linux-firmware”

After booting this image via USB on a NUC, I had all the drivers for LAN and WiFi devices and the 80211 firmware so I should be able to make it work now.

Thanks all,

Jim A

@ 2015-01-26 21:04                     ` Moore, Thomas (FtWorth)
From: Moore, Thomas (FtWorth) @ 2015-01-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Abernathy; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

For now, I'd just get everything working with the local.conf:

DISTRO_FEATURES += "wifi"

bitbake core-image-base

Ultimately, you may want to make a custom machine and distro config and incorporate all of the things you've specified in local.conf in those configs. For example, I have a system that's an intel-based single-board computer with several expansion cards. I've created a machine configuration to define the basic hardware components (features, drivers, etc). I've also created a custom distro because we prefer system over systemv and to include some other non-machine specific packages. Finally, I've created a custom image that includes some other extras.

The power of local.conf is nice, but it's a little tricky transitioning from that to more of a BSP approach like I described above because most people just say to add it to your local.conf, but that's not really how it should be done at the end. Think global variables vs classes.

P.S. Never edit anything in the poky folder. If you want to modify an existing recipe, create a new layer with a bbappend and modify away.

Thomas

@ 2015-01-26 21:37                       ` Jim Abernathy
From: Jim Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moore, Thomas FtWorth; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

> From: Thomas.Moore2@ATK.COM
> To: jfabernathy@outlook.com
> CC: opensource@keylevel.com; yocto@yoctoproject.org; gary@mlbassoc.com
> Subject: RE: [yocto] adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:04:54 +0000
>
> For now, I'd just get everything working with the local.conf:
>
> DISTRO_FEATURES += "wifi"
>
> bitbake core-image-base
>
> Ultimately, you may want to make a custom machine and distro config and incorporate all of the things you've specified in local.conf in those configs. For example, I have a system that's an intel-based single-board computer with several expansion cards. I've created a machine configuration to define the basic hardware components (features, drivers, etc). I've also created a custom distro because we prefer system over systemv and to include some other non-machine specific packages. Finally, I've created a custom image that includes some other extras.
>
> The power of local.conf is nice, but it's a little tricky transitioning from that to more of a BSP approach like I described above because most people just say to add it to your local.conf, but that's not really how it should be done at the end. Think global variables vs classes.
>
> P.S. Never edit anything in the poky folder. If you want to modify an existing recipe, create a new layer with a bbappend and modify away.
>
> Thomas

I tried just adding DISTRO_FEATURES += "wifi" to the local.conf and bitbaking core-image-base, but I got a lot of errors:

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'glibc'
ERROR: glibc was skipped: missing required distro feature 'ipv4' (not in DISTRO_FEATURES)
ERROR: Required build target 'core-image-base' has no buildable providers.
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['core-image-base', 'glibc']

So I got it working with core-image-minimal as I mentioned earlier just before your reply.

@ 2015-01-26 21:51                         ` Moore, Thomas (FtWorth)
From: Moore, Thomas (FtWorth) @ 2015-01-26 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Abernathy; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

Looks like you also need to add ipv4 to the DISTRO_FEATURES:

DISTRO_FEATURES += "ipv4 wifi"

Might be worth trying.

Thomas

@ 2015-01-26 21:54                           ` Jim Abernathy
From: Jim Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moore, Thomas FtWorth; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

From: Thomas.Moore2@ATK.COM
To: jfabernathy@outlook.com
CC: opensource@keylevel.com; yocto@yoctoproject.org; gary@mlbassoc.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:51:47 +0000

Looks like you also need to add ipv4 to the DISTRO_FEATURES:

DISTRO_FEATURES += "ipv4 wifi"

Might be worth trying.

Thomas

 I'll test with it, but why core-image-base vs. core-image-minimal?
Jim A

@ 2015-01-26 22:01               ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2015-01-26 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Abernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 2015-01-26 12:31, James Abernathy wrote:
> I get a clean build when I add: CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi”
>
> However, I have no wireless drivers.  I must have to add something to add the drivers and firmware to the kernel.  Not sure what though.

That's a whole separate issue.  To get the drivers you typically need
to add kernel-modules and linux-firmware (as others have stated).  However,
if you want a truly minimal system, those are poor choices as they bring
in TONS of packages.  You probably want to just include the kernel-module-XXX
and linux-firmware-XXX that are actually needed by your hardware.

@ 2015-01-26 22:23                             ` Moore, Thomas (FtWorth)
From: Moore, Thomas (FtWorth) @ 2015-01-26 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Abernathy; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

core-image-base installs packagegroup-base-extended, whereas core-image-minimal doesn't. packagegroup-base-extended adds things like kernel modules and other package groups that you'll want for a more full-featured system.

Thomas

@ 2015-01-26 22:43                               ` Jim Abernathy
From: Jim Abernathy @ 2015-01-26 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moore, Thomas FtWorth; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

I was just coming to the realization that core-image-minimal isn't what I
 wanted.  So I'll experiment with core-image-base and a minimal set of
local.conf statements that give me what I need.  Thanks,

Jim A

From: Thomas.Moore2@ATK.COM
To: jfabernathy@outlook.com
CC: opensource@keylevel.com; yocto@yoctoproject.org; gary@mlbassoc.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:23:12 +0000

@ 2015-01-26 23:22                         ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-01-26 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Abernathy; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

On Monday 26 January 2015 16:37:37 Jim Abernathy wrote:
> > From: Thomas.Moore2@ATK.COM
> > To: jfabernathy@outlook.com
> > CC: opensource@keylevel.com; yocto@yoctoproject.org; gary@mlbassoc.com
> > Subject: RE: [yocto] adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
> > Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:04:54 +0000
> >
> > For now, I'd just get everything working with the local.conf:
> >
> > DISTRO_FEATURES += "wifi"
> >
> > bitbake core-image-base
> >
> > Ultimately, you may want to make a custom machine and distro config and
> > incorporate all of the things you've specified in local.conf in those
> > configs. For example, I have a system that's an intel-based single-board
> > computer with several expansion cards. I've created a machine
> > configuration to define the basic hardware components (features, drivers,
> > etc). I've also created a custom distro because we prefer system over
> > systemv and to include some other non-machine specific packages. Finally,
> > I've created a custom image that includes some other extras.
> >
> > The power of local.conf is nice, but it's a little tricky transitioning
> > from that to more of a BSP approach like I described above because most
> > people just say to add it to your local.conf, but that's not really how
> > it should be done at the end. Think global variables vs classes.
> >
> > P.S. Never edit anything in the poky folder. If you want to modify an
> > existing recipe, create a new layer with a bbappend and modify away.
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I tried just adding DISTRO_FEATURES += "wifi" to the local.conf and
> bitbaking core-image-base, but I got a lot of errors:
>
> NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'glibc'
> ERROR: glibc was skipped: missing required distro feature 'ipv4' (not in
> DISTRO_FEATURES) ERROR: Required build target 'core-image-base' has no
> buildable providers. Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was:

You're getting this error because you're actually replacing the value with
"wifi" not adding it, because the default value is actually set *after*
local.conf is parsed using ?=, so having set a value in local.conf, it's
already set and thus ?= has no effect. Then we get to parsing the glibc recipe
and that immediately fails because it states that all features in
DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC are required, and you've removed those. (As a side note I
really dislike how this latter bit has been implemented, but at least it
breaks early rather than what used to happen where it would get up to
compiling glibc and then fail). The correct way to add to DISTRO_FEATURES in
local.conf would be to use DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ..." (and don't forget
the leading space in the value).

However, that said, I'd guess that if your configuration is the default poky or
reasonably close to it, DISTRO_FEATURES already contains "wifi", so there
shouldn't even be a need to add it; particularly as you've already suggested
wifi was working with core-image-sato.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal
@ 2015-01-27  1:29                           ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2015-01-27  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto, Gary Thomas

Okay,  here’s the answer for me.  It should never have been core-image-minimal.  I just view that as not core-image-sato, meaning no gui.

If you take standard dizzy and change machine to nuc, then bitbake core-image-base, you get all the wifi, wpa-supplicant that you need.

So the trivial answer was that core-image-base is the console, CLI version I needed to start with all along.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim A