From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net>
To: Mel Gorman <mgorman@suse.de>, Davidlohr Bueso <dave@stgolabs.net>
Cc: lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org, linux-mm@kvack.org
Subject: Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM ATTEND] mmap_sem and mm performance testing
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 18:17:05 -0800	[thread overview]

On 01/02/2015 05:35 AM, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 03:51:24PM -0800, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to attend LSF/MM 2015. While I am very much interested in
>> general mm performance topics, I would particularly like to discuss:
>>
>> (1) Where we are at with the mmap_sem issues and progress. This topic
>> constantly comes up each year [1,2,3] without much changing. While the
>> issues are very clear (both long hold times, specially in fs paths and
>> coarse lock granularity) it would be good to detail exactly *where*
>> these problems are and what are some of the show stoppers. In addition,
>> present overall progress and benchmark numbers on fine graining via
>> range locking (I am currently working on this as a follow on to recent
>> i_mmap locking patches) and experimental work,
>> such as speculative page fault patches[4]. If nothing else, this session
>> can/should produce a list of tangible todo items.
>>

> There have been changes on mmap_sem hold times -- mmap_sem dropped by
> khugepaged during allocation being a very obvious one but there are
> others. The scope of what mmap_sem protects is similar but the stalling
> behaviour has changed since this was last discussed. It's worth
> revisiting where things stand and at the very least verify what cases
> are currently causing problems.

I think that, for my workload, the main issue is that one cpu can take
mmap_sem and get preempted, and, since we don't have priority
inheritance, other threads in the process get stalled.

As a terrible stopgap, some kind of priority boosting, or maybe optional
preemption disabling for some parts of the mmap/munmap code could help.
  The speculative page fault stuff could also help.

--Andy