From: Peter Hurley <peter@hurleysoftware.com>
To: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>
Cc: Loic Poulain <loic.poulain@intel.com>,
	Frederic Danis <frederic.danis@linux.intel.com>,
	BlueZ development <linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	jslaby@suse.cz
Subject: Re: [RFC 3/5] Bluetooth: hci_uart: Add HCIUARTSETBAUDRATE ioctl
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:45:11 -0400	[thread overview]

On 04/10/2015 12:07 PM, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Peter,

>>> and we want to get rid of these since it implements the HCI protocol layer. And it implements it pretty poorly. It is mainly write(), fingers-crossed, hope you get the right bytes back.
>>>
>>> It works for dead simple protocols like H:5, but for BCSP, 3-Wire or the vendor specific power management, this is all not going to work out. The problem area arises when you have to recover from an error. All of this falls flat on its face.
>>
>> Ok, what code should I look at to understand your in-kernel interface
>> requirements?
>
> the chips are using mainly HCI vendor commands with in some cases extra packet types for power management. The kernel side is mainly that we have a special setup routing that drivers can use to program the controller. However the driver uses HCI commands via __hci_cmd_sync(). Good example from bluetooth-next might be drivers/bluetooth/btbcm.c since there we already split out the common pieces. Keep in mind that the HCI commands are in most cases the same no matter what the transport underneath is. UART just needs an extra baud rate change.
>
>> Is it at least from process context?
>
> The setup callback in executed from a workqueue.

Ok.

>>> So what you are saying is that we want to have a callback mechanism back into hciattach. So when kernel needs a changed baudrate, it should tell hciattach, it will then change the baudrate, and tell the kernel when it did so.
>>>
>>> I wonder if I could just repurpose the ldisc read/write/poll callback handlers to implement such a simple callback/notification protocol. That would actually make sense to me since the kernel wants to drive the TTY with the agreed upon HCI transport protocol from the point we attached N_HCI to it.
>>
>> Any of the above would be so ugly.
>> Until I can work up something better, the lesser evil is using
>> tty_set_termios().
>>
>> Please cc me for patches using tty_set_termios() or other tty workarounds.
>
> I was proposing to use tty->ops->set_termios. Is there any benefit from calling the native ops compared to using the not yet exposed wrapper?

tty_set_termios() performs the termios swap before calling the
driver; and grabs the proper lock.

As it is, the wrapper fn that calls tty_set_termios() will want to
perform a tty_wait_until_sent(tty, 0) before tty_set_termios();
otherwise, hci command bytes could still be in the xmit buffer
when the line settings are changed by the UART driver's set_termios().
[That doesn't happen automagically because there's times when the
line settings are commanded to change without waiting.]

>>> Even the HSU on our devices expose a TTY instead of an actual HSU bus where we could have be a HSU driver on it. If you know how we can get this changed, I am all ears.
>>
>> There's no magic bullet here; it would be a lot of work.
>>
>>> The hci_uart driver and N_HCI line discipline will be still needed since there are actual development boards with USB/TTY converters attached to it. However all the embedded devices where it is all hardwired, proper exposed busses or platform devices would be a lot better.
>>
>> But never both simultaneously on the same device, right?
>> Because the idea would be that the UART is exclusive and wholly owned, without
>> a userspace dev node.
>
> Yes. It is exclusive access to the device. No userspace device node needed.

Ok.

> So if we could just even set the line discipline from the kernel similar to attaching a driver to a device, then that would be something I would be interested as well.

That's probably doable right now; most of the heavy lifting of setting
the line discipline is in a single function. If this were being done from workqueue,
it'd have to be an unbounded queue because of the implicit module load of
the line discipline.

Regards,
Peter Hurley