On 05/05/2015 05:02 PM, William Cohen wrote: > On 05/05/2015 11:48 AM, Will Deacon wrote: >> On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 06:14:51AM +0100, David Long wrote: >>> On 05/01/15 21:44, William Cohen wrote: >>>> Dave Long and I did some additional experimentation to better >>>> understand what is condition causes the kernel to sometimes spew: >>>> >>>> Unexpected kernel single-step exception at EL1 >>>> >>>> The functioncallcount.stp test instruments the entry and return of >>>> every function in the mm files, including kfree. In most cases the >>>> arm64 trampoline_probe_handler just determines which return probe >>>> instance matches the current conditions, runs the associated handler, >>>> and recycles the return probe instance for another use by placing it >>>> on a hlist. However, it is possible that a return probe instance has >>>> been set up on function entry and the return probe is unregistered >>>> before the return probe instance fires. In this case kfree is called >>>> by the trampoline handler to remove the return probe instances related >>>> to the unregistered kretprobe. This case where the the kprobed kfree >>>> is called within the arm64 trampoline_probe_handler function trigger >>>> the problem. >>>> >>>> The kprobe breakpoint for the kfree call from within the >>>> trampoline_probe_handler is encountered and started, but things go >>>> wrong when attempting the single step on the instruction. >>>> >>>> It took a while to trigger this problem with the sytemtap testsuite. >>>> Dave Long came up with steps that reproduce this more quickly with a >>>> probed function that is always called within the trampoline handler. >>>> Trying the same on x86_64 doesn't trigger the problem. It appears >>>> that the x86_64 code can handle a single step from within the >>>> trampoline_handler. >>>> >>> >>> I'm assuming there are no plans for supporting software breakpoint debug >>> exceptions during processing of single-step exceptions, any time soon on >>> arm64. Given that the only solution that I can come with for this is >>> instead of making this orphaned kretprobe instance list exist only >>> temporarily (in the scope of the kretprobe trampoline handler), make it >>> always exist and kfree any items found on it as part of a periodic >>> cleanup running outside of the handler context. I think these changes >>> would still all be in archiecture-specific code. This doesn't feel to >>> me like a bad solution. Does anyone think there is a simpler way out of >>> this? >> >> Just to clarify, is the problem here the software breakpoint exception, >> or trying to step the faulting instruction whilst we were already handling >> a step? >> >> I think I'd be inclined to keep the code run in debug context to a minimum. >> We already can't block there, and the more code we add the more black spots >> we end up with in the kernel itself. The alternative would be to make your >> kprobes code re-entrant, but that sounds like a nightmare. >> >> You say this works on x86. How do they handle it? Is the nested probe >> on kfree ignored or handled? >> >> Will >> > > Hi Dave and Will, > > The attached patch attempts to eliminate the need for the breakpoint in the trampoline. It is modeled after the x86_64 code and just saves the register state, calls the trampoline handler, and then fixes the return address. The code compiles, but I have NOT verified that it works. It looks feasible to do things this way. In addition to avoiding the possible issue with a kretprobe on kfree it would also make the kretprobes faster because it would avoid the breakpoint exception and the associated kprobe handling in the trampoline. > > -Will > Hi Dave and Will, Attached is a revised version of the patch to avoid using a kprobe breakpoint in the trampoline. It shows signs of working, but is still a work in progress. -Will Cohen