On 04/09/15 09:01, David Gibson wrote: > On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:57:15AM +0530, Bharata B Rao wrote: >> QEMU currently supports CPU topologies where there can be cores >> which are not completely filled with all the threads as per the >> specifed SMT mode. >> >> Restore support for such topologies (Eg -smp 15,cores=4,threads=4) >> The last core will always have the deficit even when -device options are >> used to cold-plug the cores. >> >> Signed-off-by: Bharata B Rao > > Is there a reason to support these silly toplogies, or should we just > error out if this is specified? FYI, I've recently submitted a patch that tries to catch such illegal SMP configurations and simply errors out in that case: http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-07/msg04549.html It's not upstream yet, but already in Eduardo's x86 branch. I think this will reject the bad topology from your example, too. Thomas