On 2015-10-16 01:38, Christoph Hellwig wrote: > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:24:51AM -0400, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote: >> My only point with saying we shouldn't reflink by default is that there are >> many (unintelligent) people who will assume that since the syscall has copy >> in it's name, that's what it will do; and, while I don't think we should >> cater to such individuals, it does make sense to have a syscall that says in >> it's name that it copies data actually do so by default. > > As far as the user is concerned a reflink is a copy. A very efficient > copy. I should have been specific, what I meant was that some people will assume that it actually creates a physical, on-disk byte-for-byte copy of the data. There are many people out there (and sadly I have to deal with some at work) who are absolutely terrified of the concept of data deduplication, and will likely refuse to use this syscall for _anything_ if it reflinks by default on filesystems that support it.