On 10/21/2015 09:03 AM, LluĂ­s Vilanova wrote: > Hi, > > I was wondering what is the proper way (or ways, depending on the subsystem) of > reporting and signalling errors in QEMU. The coding style file does not seem to > mention it, and the code uses all kinds of forms for that: > > * printf + exit(1) > * fprintf(stderr) + exit(1) Existing code doesn't all have to be switched, but new code... > * error_report + exit(1) ...should favor this approach, or even: error_setg(..., &error_fatal) as shorthand. > * cpu_abort > * Some other I probably forgot > > So, is there any agreement on what should be used? If so, could that please be > added to CODING_STYLE? include/qapi/error.h has more documentation on how to best use struct Error and the various error_* functions, but you're right that a blurb in CODING_STYLE can't hurt. Would you care to try writing a first draft? -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org