From: John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>
To: Simon Horman <simon.horman@netronome.com>
Cc: Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>,
	Premkumar Jonnala <pjonnala@broadcom.com>,
	"netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Hardware capabilities and bonding offload
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 16:57:54 -0800	[thread overview]

On 15-11-17 02:03 PM, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 08:10:27AM -0800, John Fastabend wrote:

>>> Although it might sound intriguing to fallback to sw here, it makes no
>>> sense and user certainly does not want that. For example in case of our
>>> HW, we have 100gbit forwarding which would be degraded to ~1gbit (for one
>>> port pair). Another thing is that for some HW this mignt not be even
>>> possible. In our case it would be very complicated.
>>>
>>> I believe that the correct approach is to let driver decide if the
>>> configuration is acceptable or not and reject it in case it is not.
>>>

>> +1 I agree the best approach is to throw a hard error and reject
>> it if there is no mapping on to the hardware. This lets your
>> management software propagate that error up so you can handle it
>> correctly at higher levels in the stack.
>>
>> You could if needed add a bit to enable setup in software only
>> if that is needed.
>
> FWIW, I agree that such a scheme ought to cover the bases.
> But perhaps it would be best to old off on adding the software only
> bit until a use-case arises. John, perhaps you already have one?

I suspect the use case here would be the hardware can't support
the offloaded bond _but_ I really want to bond my traffic and I'm OK
with the performance penalty that is going to be incurred because
either (a) I know the traffic rate is low enough my CPU(s) can handle
it or (b) it wont completely trash my network to have a slow link in
the middle for whatever reason.

To be honest though this is more of an argument in theory versus
some existing management agent I know of today. If you need to do
bonding type X in your network and the particular switch doesn't support
it I'm not even sure what the mgmt layer is going to do. Maybe just
put the switch offline for that network segment.

If you leave the sw bit out in the first iteration I'm OK with that
we can easily add it when we have software that needs it.

Thanks,
John