[snip] >> I hope the change in arch/um/kernel/skas/MMU.c isn't the cause of all this trouble! > No it is not, but it is one that needs refinement. Fix coming up in 10 > minutes or so, I was just cleaning up the patches for submission. > > The issue is reentrancy of the core interrupt logic which the code in > unblock_signals is supposed to prevent, but it fails (for some reason) > to do so. Some of it looks like a heisenbug from debugging by the way. If you look in softirq.c you see: #ifdef CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS local_irq_enable () #endif That in UML translates to unblock_signals(). That in turn will re-execute hardware interrupts out of a software IRQ bottom half context. There is still an inherent reentrancy issue, but I suspect that it is less with the debugging off. Patchset coming up in next email. It throws bh warnings if you have CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS, but that is not something I can fix in first pass. A.