* Correctness of acpi-als channel mask
@ 2015-12-17 20:32 Gabriele Mazzotta
From: Gabriele Mazzotta @ 2015-12-17 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio

Hi,

I have a question regarding the acpi-als driver.

Currently acpi-als uses IIO_CHAN_INFO_RAW to report the data coming
from the sensor. However, as per the ACPI specification [1] (section
9.2.2), these values represent the ambient light illuminance expressed
in lux. Wouldn't IIO_CHAN_INFO_PROCESSED be more appropriate in this
case as the data are in theory pre-processed by the firmware of the
platform?

[1] http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec50.pdf

Regards,
Gabriele

* Re: Correctness of acpi-als channel mask
@ 2015-12-19 16:09 ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2015-12-19 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Mazzotta, linux-iio, Marek Vasut, Martin Liška

On 17/12/15 20:32, Gabriele Mazzotta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the acpi-als driver.
>
> Currently acpi-als uses IIO_CHAN_INFO_RAW to report the data coming
> from the sensor. However, as per the ACPI specification [1] (section
> 9.2.2), these values represent the ambient light illuminance expressed
> in lux. Wouldn't IIO_CHAN_INFO_PROCESSED be more appropriate in this
> case as the data are in theory pre-processed by the firmware of the
> platform?
Looks like it to me as well.  Cc'd Marek and Martin.

@ 2015-12-20 23:33   ` Marek Vasut
       [not found]     ` <CABFtUbTggGGs7s0QtA=FeZx_ejwFHTBuxyhD8H_gmo9=R-HjwA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Marek Vasut @ 2015-12-20 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Cameron; +Cc: Gabriele Mazzotta, linux-iio, Martin Liška

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 05:09:33 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 17/12/15 20:32, Gabriele Mazzotta wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question regarding the acpi-als driver.
> >
> > Currently acpi-als uses IIO_CHAN_INFO_RAW to report the data coming
> > from the sensor. However, as per the ACPI specification [1] (section
> > 9.2.2), these values represent the ambient light illuminance expressed
> > in lux. Wouldn't IIO_CHAN_INFO_PROCESSED be more appropriate in this
> > case as the data are in theory pre-processed by the firmware of the
> > platform?
>
> Looks like it to me as well.  Cc'd Marek and Martin.

Gotta say, I haven't looked at ACPI for a while now. My impression is that these
data are RAW and the system software can adjust them based on the values in _ALR
table. The result of that would be _PROCESSED I think. But I might be entirely
wrong.

> > [1] http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec50.pdf
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gabriele
> > --

Best regards,
Marek Vasut

@ 2015-12-21 14:45       ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2015-12-21 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Mazzotta; +Cc: Jonathan Cameron, linux-iio

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 11:08:55 AM, Gabriele Mazzotta wrote:

> >> Looks like it to me as well.  Cc'd Marek and Martin.
> >
> > Gotta say, I haven't looked at ACPI for a while now. My impression is
> > that these data are RAW and the system software can adjust them based on
> > the values in _ALR table. The result of that would be _PROCESSED I
> > think. But I might be entirely wrong.
>
> I'm not sure of this. _ALR returns an ambient light illuminance to
> display luminance mapping that suggests how to adjust the screen
> backlight. There are then _ALC and _ALT which report the ambient light
> color chromaticity and the ambient light color temperature respectively.

ALC and ALT are optional I believe (at least I recall my crappy old hardware
on which I first implemented this didn't have them at all). Thanks for
clarifying what the ALR means, I never really understood how that was supposed
to work in the first place .

> So I don't think there are adjustments we can perform.

If you think _PROCESSED is more appropriate, I will not oppose it. At this
point, you are the bigger expert on ALS :)

> > Best regards,
> > Marek Vasut

Best regards,
Marek Vasut