* New FocalTech FT6236 touchscreen driver is a duplicate with the existing edt-ft5x06.c driver
@ 2015-12-19 20:04 Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2015-12-19 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov, linux-input, Sean Cross, Noralf Trønnes
  Cc: Bertrik Sikken

Hi All,

While looking into getting a focaltech touchscreen on a tablet working I noticed
that we've 2 overlapping drivers, the ft6236.c and the edt-ft5x06.c driver both
support the exact same i2c touchscreen protocol. In the latter the code for the
"M09" variant offers identical functionality to the ft6236.c code.

Since the edt-ft5x06.c code seems more complete wrt advanced features and has
been around much longer, I would like to suggest to add the ft6236.c compatible
and i2c-ids to the edt-ft5x06.c driver and to drop the duplicate ft6236.c driver.

I've tested both drivers on a Chuwi_V7_CW0825 tablet with a ft5302fe4 touchscreen
controller (not 100% sure on the model I may be mixing up touchscreen models here,
but it definitely is a focaltech controller), and both drivers work identically.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: New FocalTech FT6236 touchscreen driver is a duplicate with the existing edt-ft5x06.c driver
@ 2016-01-26  9:16 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-01-26  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov, linux-input, Sean Cross, Noralf Trønnes
  Cc: Bertrik Sikken

Hi,

On 19-12-15 21:04, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> While looking into getting a focaltech touchscreen on a tablet working I noticed
> that we've 2 overlapping drivers, the ft6236.c and the edt-ft5x06.c driver both
> support the exact same i2c touchscreen protocol. In the latter the code for the
> "M09" variant offers identical functionality to the ft6236.c code.
>
> Since the edt-ft5x06.c code seems more complete wrt advanced features and has
> been around much longer, I would like to suggest to add the ft6236.c compatible
> and i2c-ids to the edt-ft5x06.c driver and to drop the duplicate ft6236.c driver.
>
> I've tested both drivers on a Chuwi_V7_CW0825 tablet with a ft5302fe4 touchscreen
> controller (not 100% sure on the model I may be mixing up touchscreen models here,
> but it definitely is a focaltech controller), and both drivers work identically.

Ping ? We really need to fix this and the sooner the better, so that we do not
get more and more devices depending on the new duplicate ft6236.c driver.

Dmitry, since non of the ft6236.c maintainers has responded / has tested there devices
with edt-ft5x06.c, shall I just go ahead and send a patch to add the i2c-id +
compatibles from ft6236.c to edt-ft5x06.c and remove ft6236.c ?

@ 2016-08-01  8:11   ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-08-01  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov, linux-input, Sean Cross, Noralf Trønnes
  Cc: Bertrik Sikken

Hi,

On 26-01-16 10:16, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19-12-15 21:04, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> While looking into getting a focaltech touchscreen on a tablet working I noticed
>> that we've 2 overlapping drivers, the ft6236.c and the edt-ft5x06.c driver both
>> support the exact same i2c touchscreen protocol. In the latter the code for the
>> "M09" variant offers identical functionality to the ft6236.c code.
>>
>> Since the edt-ft5x06.c code seems more complete wrt advanced features and has
>> been around much longer, I would like to suggest to add the ft6236.c compatible
>> and i2c-ids to the edt-ft5x06.c driver and to drop the duplicate ft6236.c driver.
>>
>> I've tested both drivers on a Chuwi_V7_CW0825 tablet with a ft5302fe4 touchscreen
>> controller (not 100% sure on the model I may be mixing up touchscreen models here,
>> but it definitely is a focaltech controller), and both drivers work identically.
>
> Ping ? We really need to fix this and the sooner the better, so that we do not
> get more and more devices depending on the new duplicate ft6236.c driver.
>
> Dmitry, since non of the ft6236.c maintainers has responded / has tested there devices
> with edt-ft5x06.c, shall I just go ahead and send a patch to add the i2c-id +
> compatibles from ft6236.c to edt-ft5x06.c and remove ft6236.c ?

Given the silence of all involved here I'm going to move ahead and submit a
patch to remove the duplicate ft6236.c driver.

Regards,

Hans