On 01/22/2016 08:12 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote: > On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Doug Ledford wrote: >> >> This is a rather large update, and it's not entirely complete. I have >> some changes to merge for the staging/rdma tree too, but I wanted to get >> this set in first for dependency reasons, then I'll make a new branch >> against Greg's staging tree, then send the changes relative to that. >> Expect that pull request early next week. Thanks. > > No Doug. > > The merge window closes this Sunday. I obviously have my understanding of the development cycle here wrong. I had thought that the merge window was 4 weeks with a following 8 weeks of RC candidates resulting in roughly quarterly pace. But you tagged v4.4 on 1/10/16, so this Sunday is only 2 weeks. That certainly changes things. I did not believe that the merge window was so short when I sent this request. > It's already damn late to send me anything at all, See above about the 2 vs. 4 week misconception. But also, really? Even ignoring that misconception, it's the merge window. And it has a deadline. And if you give me a deadline, then even though I don't try to cut it too close, I, generally speaking, *will* use my available time if needed. But from your description here, there is an additional deadline in the merge window that is an unwritten, unspoken, visceral thing that you feel. Ok, so be it. A little guidance on that would be appreciated. Is the deadline really 1 week after the merge window opens? 10 days? 4 days? I ask because this stuff is actually important in terms of planning. I had PTO and was off in Hawaii when the merge window opened. We all have personal lives, and schedules don't always line up with the merge window. Knowing how small the merge window *really* is is important for me to be able to plan and prioritize actions when I return from something like this. So, for my future planning purpses, some elucidation here would be appreciated. > it is *much* too > late to say "this is just part of it". There were some issues of coordination between work being committed by GKH and myself. I needed to make the last things relative to what he submitted already. My branch with the code on it that I sent the pull request for was based on 4.4-rc6 and therefore did no have GKH's work in it. I didn't like the idea of just blindly merging his branch into mine so that his commits were there and I could make my follow on commits, so it seemed I needed a new branch based upon either GKH's branch that he submitted to you, or on your current master, to plop the last commits into. Given that I thought it was still a couple weeks to go to the close of the window, Monday seemed reasonable. I'll probably still submit the deletes to you sometime tomorrow. > This can all wait for 4.6, and maybe you'll have the pull requests > lined up at the *beginning* of the merge window rather than trying to > push them in whan I'm already trying to calm things down for the end > of it. Sure. I can just merge it up to a 4.5-rc sometime then resubmit next window. However, I'm going to have to pull at least a few patches out and send them separate as they are needed fixes for the code in tree already. But those are all -rc appropriate patches anyway so it doesn't matter if they land by Sunday. -- Doug Ledford GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD