* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-05 20:26 Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-02-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Dear all,

This is to announce a change regarding the Coccinelle repository on GitHub.

As you may know, so far this repository only contained the Coccinelle
releases and did not reflect the precise development history.

This has now changed. The repository on GitHub is now a mirror of the main
developemnt repository.

For those of you who were downloading Coccinelle from GitHub, we recommaend
that you remove your current clone of the GitHub repository and do a fresh

git clone https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle.git

Alternatively, if you only need to download and build new versions
of Coccinelle as they are released, you can also just download the
source code of each release you are interested in from
Coccinelle's web site

http://coccinelle.lip6.fr

S?bastien.

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-05 21:11 ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-02-05 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

> The repository on GitHub is now a mirror of the main developemnt repository.

This evolution is a nice improvement. - Thank you.

I am very curious on how our constructive dialogue will evolve further.

Is it correct that no additional (topic) branches are provided so far?
Are there any plans to adjust the affected software development process
a bit more?

Regards,
Markus

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-05 21:28   ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-02-05 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Hi,

SF Markus Elfring (2016/02/05 22:11 +0100):
> > The repository on GitHub is now a mirror of the main developemnt repository.
>
> This evolution is a nice improvement. - Thank you.
>
> I am very curious on how our constructive dialogue will evolve further.
>
> Is it correct that no additional (topic) branches are provided so far?

Yes. The team does not use such branches to collaborate, at a team
level.

> Are there any plans to adjust the affected software development process
> a bit more?

Not that I know.

S?bastien.

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-05 21:42     ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-02-05 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

>> Is it correct that no additional (topic) branches are provided so far?
>
> Yes.

Thanks for your clarification.

> The team does not use such branches to collaborate, at a team level.

I find this information surprising.

>> Are there any plans to adjust the affected software development process
>> a bit more?
>
> Not that I know.

Will any special branches be introduced in the near future?

Would you like to reconsider this detail?

Regards,
Markus

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-05 22:07       ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-02-05 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

SF Markus Elfring (2016/02/05 22:42 +0100):

@ 2016-02-06  8:21         ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-02-06  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

>> Will any special branches be introduced in the near future?
>
> Not that I know.

Would you like to clarify the application of "advanced" software development methodologies
any further?

It seems that there are only two committers active in the leading Git repository
for this software at the moment.
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/graphs/contributors

How do you think about to talk a bit more about role distribution between
various contributors?
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/network/members

Regards,
Markus

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-06 15:12 ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-02-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

> For those of you who were downloading Coccinelle from GitHub, we recommaend
> that you remove your current clone of the GitHub repository and do a fresh
>
> git clone https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle.git

Do try to indicate that the previous GitHub repository was not really compatible
with the repository for the complete software development history?

Are there any chances to achieve that a command like "git checkout master
&& git pull" will also work without merge conflicts (if the suggested fresh
software copy would be omitted)?

Regards,
Markus

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-06 21:33   ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-02-06 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Hi,
SF Markus Elfring (2016/02/06 16:12 +0100):
> > For those of you who were downloading Coccinelle from GitHub, we recommaend
> > that you remove your current clone of the GitHub repository and do a fresh
> >
> > git clone https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle.git
>
> Do try to indicate that the previous GitHub repository was not really compatible
> with the repository for the complete software development history?

Absolutely. The two repositories are totally incompatible.

> Are there any chances to achieve that a command like "git checkout master
> && git pull" will also work without merge conflicts (if the suggested fresh
> software copy would be omitted)?

No chances at all. No merge possibility. The former repository needs to
be deleted and the new one cloned. Not doing so would result in a big
mess.

S?bastien.

* [Cocci] The Coccinelle repository on GitHub
@ 2016-02-07  8:43     ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-02-07  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

> The two repositories are totally incompatible.

Thanks for another clarification around the handling of a previous partial
and the complete software development history.

>> Are there any chances to achieve that a command like "git checkout master
>> && git pull" will also work without merge conflicts (if the suggested fresh
>> software copy would be omitted)?
>
> No chances at all. No merge possibility. The former repository needs to
> be deleted and the new one cloned.

Thanks also for this information.

> Not doing so would result in a big mess.

Now I find that there is a need to clarify further software transitions
and data migrations for pull requests, isn't it?
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

1. Would you like to look for possibilities to keep cross references
   consistent anyhow?

2. From which Git repositories are you going pull the next changes?

3. How should a potential confusion be avoided for developers
   who dared to try anything out already in their personal topic branches?