* Can't build product that uses DEFAULTTUNE="arm926ejs"
@ 2019-03-11  4:20 Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2019-03-11  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj (raj.khem@gmail.com)
  Cc: OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

I'm trying to build with master of OE-core and one of our products now
fails with:

ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
    Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker
    (see sanity.conf). Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

    Error, the PACKAGE_ARCHS variable (all any noarch arm armv4 armv4t armv5
    armv5t armv5e armv5te arm926ejste arm926ejse <BSP name withheld>) for
    DEFAULTTUNE (arm926ejs) does not contain TUNE_PKGARCH (arm926ejst).

I believe this is due to commit ac83d22e (arm-tunes: Remove -march option if
mcpu is already added). If I build with Thud, TUNE_PKGARCH is "arm926ejste".
The  lack of the "e" at the end when building with master seems to be due to
the definition of ARMPKGSFX_DSP as
"${@bb.utils.contains('TUNE_FEATURES', [ 'armv5', 'dsp' ], 'e', '', d)}" and
the fact that after commit ac83d22e, TUNE_FEATURES no longer contains 'armv5'.

//Peter

* Re: Can't build product that uses DEFAULTTUNE="arm926ejs"
@ 2019-03-11  4:23 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-03-11  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt; +Cc: OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 9:20 PM Peter Kjellerstedt
<peter.kjellerstedt@axis.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build with master of OE-core and one of our products now
> fails with:
>
> ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
>     Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker
>     (see sanity.conf). Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:
>
>     Error, the PACKAGE_ARCHS variable (all any noarch arm armv4 armv4t armv5
>     armv5t armv5e armv5te arm926ejste arm926ejse <BSP name withheld>) for
>     DEFAULTTUNE (arm926ejs) does not contain TUNE_PKGARCH (arm926ejst).
>
> I believe this is due to commit ac83d22e (arm-tunes: Remove -march option if
> mcpu is already added). If I build with Thud, TUNE_PKGARCH is "arm926ejste".
> The  lack of the "e" at the end when building with master seems to be due to
> the definition of ARMPKGSFX_DSP as
> "${@bb.utils.contains('TUNE_FEATURES', [ 'armv5', 'dsp' ], 'e', '', d)}" and
> the fact that after commit ac83d22e, TUNE_FEATURES no longer contains 'armv5'.

right this should now check for armv5t
armv5 has been removed from upstream gcc as well. So we only support
armv5t viariants.

@ 2019-03-11 13:49   ` Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2019-03-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 9:20 PM Peter Kjellerstedt
> <peter.kjellerstedt@axis.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to build with master of OE-core and one of our products
> > now fails with:
> >
> > ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
> >     Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker
> >     (see sanity.conf). Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:
> >
> >     Error, the PACKAGE_ARCHS variable (all any noarch arm armv4 armv4t armv5
> >     armv5t armv5e armv5te arm926ejste arm926ejse <BSP name withheld>) for
> >     DEFAULTTUNE (arm926ejs) does not contain TUNE_PKGARCH (arm926ejst).
> >
> > I believe this is due to commit ac83d22e (arm-tunes: Remove -march
> > option if mcpu is already added). If I build with Thud, TUNE_PKGARCH
> > is "arm926ejste". The  lack of the "e" at the end when building with
> > master seems to be due to the definition of ARMPKGSFX_DSP as
> > "${@bb.utils.contains('TUNE_FEATURES', [ 'armv5', 'dsp' ], 'e', '', d)}"
> > and the fact that after commit ac83d22e, TUNE_FEATURES no longer
> > contains 'armv5'.
>
> right this should now check for armv5t

There is no armv5t to check for.

> armv5 has been removed from upstream gcc as well. So we only support
> armv5t variants.
>
> > //Peter

I am by no means any expert on the tuning files (actually they mostly
seem like black magic), but I devised an alternative solution for
preferring -mcpu over -march that I think is less invasive and without
unwanted side effects. I will publish it shortly.

@ 2019-03-15  5:08     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-03-15  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt; +Cc: OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:49 AM Peter Kjellerstedt
<peter.kjellerstedt@axis.com> wrote:

I saw you sent couple of patch to address this, however I think it can
be addressed a bit differently and patch could
be simple. I would be keen if you try it out and see if that fixes your problem

https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/159591/

@ 2019-03-16  9:21       ` Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2019-03-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:49 AM Peter Kjellerstedt
> <peter.kjellerstedt@axis.com> wrote:

While I agree that your patch will solve the problem with arm926ejs, I
believe there are advantages in applying my patches instead. In addition
to fixing the problem with arm926ejs, my patches (patch set 4, not patch
set 2 that is currently on master-next) also:

* make it so that there is no change to TUNE_FEATURES,
* make it explicit whether -mcpu or -march is used, and
* make the extra arguments added to -mcpu or -march for armv8 explicit.

That last point was something that confused me when I read the original
tune files. I did not realize that those extra features were added to
whatever -mcpu or -march happened to be added to TUNE_CCARGS before the
arch-armv8a.inc file was included (especially as it was written to make
it look as they were only added to the -march option).

@ 2019-03-16 10:45         ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2019-03-16 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt; +Cc: OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 09:21:57AM +0000, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:

> While I agree that your patch will solve the problem with arm926ejs, I
> believe there are advantages in applying my patches instead. In addition
> to fixing the problem with arm926ejs, my patches (patch set 4, not patch
> set 2 that is currently on master-next) also:
>
> * make it so that there is no change to TUNE_FEATURES,
> * make it explicit whether -mcpu or -march is used, and
> * make the extra arguments added to -mcpu or -march for armv8 explicit.
>
> That last point was something that confused me when I read the original
> tune files. I did not realize that those extra features were added to
> whatever -mcpu or -march happened to be added to TUNE_CCARGS before the
> arch-armv8a.inc file was included (especially as it was written to make
> it look as they were only added to the -march option).

For armv8 a larger redesign is actually required - it doesn't scale
to have variables like TUNE_FEATURES_tune-armv8a-crc-crypto with
160k possible combinations[1] in gcc 8.

> //Peter

cu
Adrian

[1] target architectures 8.0-8.4 and 15 feature modifiers

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed