From: Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>
To: Keith Busch <keith.busch@intel.com>,
	Matthew Wilcox <willy@linux.intel.com>
Cc: Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de>,
	lsf@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	"linux-block@vger.kernel.org" <linux-block@vger.kernel.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Subject: Re: [Lsf] [LSF/MM TOPIC] block-mq issues with FC
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:16:21 -0600	[thread overview]

On 04/08/2016 12:06 PM, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 01:40:06PM -0400, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>>   - Inability to use all queues supported by a device.  Intel's P3700
>>     supports 31 queues, but block-mq insists on assigning an even multiple
>>     of CPUs to each queue.  So if you have 48 CPUs, it will use 24 queues.
>>     If you have 128 CPUs, it will only use 16 of the queues.
>
> While it'd be better to use all the available h/w resources, that's
> actually not the worst part.
>
> The real problems occur when there are more physical/unique CPUs than
> h/w queues since blk-mq does not consider CPU topology beyond thread
> siblings. With 128 CPUs, blk-mq may use all 31 queues P3700 supports,
> but many CPU groups won't share a last-level-cache.
>
> Smarter assignment would reclaim some untapped performance, and we can
> share such code prior to the session.

There's definitely room for improvement in the cpu mapping code.

However, on the original complaint, it's by design (or, working as
intended) - this was done to keep the layout symmetrical. It's been
discussed on the mailing lists before. We can have a discussion whether
we should change this or not, of course.

--
Jens Axboe