On Dienstag, 21. März 2017 21:56:54 CET Rob Herring wrote: [...] > Is this always the case? There's never some variation beyond the > reference design that a BDF difference can't handle? I have no knowledge about anything which isn't handled directly by the BDF variants. But maybe Kalle can correct me here. [...] > > They are basically "qcom,ipq4019-wifi" + a product specific string. The first > > part is therefore the string which identifies the wifi device(s) in the > > QCA4018/4019 SoC. The product specific string is simply the part (or a > > variation of it) which would been used before in > > "qcom,ath10k-calibration-variant" - just to make it "use a more specific > > compatible string". > > It would probably be more like: "asus,rt-ac58u-wifi", "qcom,ipq4019-wifi" > > A more specific compatible is insurance that at some later point in > time you can distinguish between 2 boards due to some difference even > if now you believe they are "the same". [...] > I think the separate property is fine if this is the only one you > envision needing to add. If there's 10 more properties, then I'd feel > more strongly towards a board specific compatible string. Thank you. Let's wait a little bit in case someone from QCA/Codeaurora has some additional input. But your comments were really helpful. Kind regards, Sven