From: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
To: Gaurang Ramesh Naik <gaurang@vt.edu>, ath10k@lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Dynamic Bandwidth in hw rate control
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 22:23:55 -0700	[thread overview]

On 06/08/2016 08:10 PM, Gaurang Ramesh Naik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I needed a small clarification related to dynamic bandwidth setup. The
> documentation in wmi.h says " When enabled HW rate control tries
> different bandwidths when retransmitting frames."
>
> Does this mean that each packet is first always tried over VHT80 and
> if that fails it goes to HT40 and then to HT20? I tried this with one
> AP-Sta operating in VHT80 and one AP operating in its first secondary
> channel. When I check the rx rate info using "iw dev wlanx station
> dump", the bandwidth seems to sometimes alternate between 20 and 80,
> but sometimes it stays fixed at 20. Hence, I was wondering what really
> happens.

For one thing, if the hardware detects interference on secondary channels,
then it may decide to transmit a 20Mhz encoding.

The rate-ctrl algs in the firmware differ from release to release, but
the general goal is to transmit with the fastest encoding rate.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>