On 06/09/2016 01:50 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote: > On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 01:37:23PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote: > [...] >> >> Hmm - it seems like in most of the cases where the ONLY thing done in >> the if (local_err) block is to propagate the error, we should instead be >> directly assigning to errp instead of wasting a local variable. At this >> point, my review is repetitive enough that I'll stop looking, and leave >> it up to you and Markus whether to attempt a more ambitious Coccinelle >> script. > > If it happens immediately before the function end or a return > statement it should be easy, but it would still require some > manual work to remove the unused variable declaration. Probably > easier to do that in a follow-up patch. I think Coccinelle can be used to eliminate unused local variables, but don't know the recipe off-hand; maybe a web search will turn up something? > > It's harder (impossible?) to make Coccinelle avoid matching if > local_err is used somewhere else in the function. But it's > probably doable with some manual work, in a follow-up patch. I don't know - Coccinelle is rather powerful, and there may indeed be a way to flag conditions for a variable that is not used anywhere except in the lines mentioned in the recipe, vs. a variable that can also be used in the ... portion of the recipe. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org