From: Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com>
To: Chris Larson <clarson@kergoth.com>,
	"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
Cc: openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
Subject: Re: can one add a "packagegroup" simply by adding the recipe file for it?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 10:48:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On Saturday 12 October 2013 07:46:02 Chris Larson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>wrote:
> >  wait, i think i might have just answered my own question ... see
> > below ...
> >
> > On Sat, 12 Oct 2013, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   just to make sure i'm not missing anything subtle, i know you can
> > >
> > > add a "packagegroup" to your build using IMAGE_FEATURES, but given
> > > that there are *lots* more packagegroup recipe files in oe-core than
> > > have corresponding PACKAGE_GROUP_* definitions in core-image.bbclass:
> > >
> > > $ find . -name "packagegroup*bb"
> > > ./recipes-gnome/packagegroups/
> >
> > packagegroup-core-standalone-gmae-sdk-target.bb
> >
> > > ./recipes-gnome/packagegroups/packagegroup-toolset-native.bb
> > > ./recipes-gnome/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-sdk-gmae.bb
> > > ./recipes-devtools/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-device-devel.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-cross-canadian.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-sdk.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-ssh-openssh.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-boot.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-tools-profile.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-self-hosted.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-ssh-dropbear.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-tools-debug.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-buildessential.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-tools-testapps.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-base.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-nfs.bb
> > > ./recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-eclipse-debug.bb
> > > ./recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-x11.bb
> > > ./recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-x11-base.bb
> > > ./recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-x11-xserver.bb
> > > ./recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-clutter.bb
> > > ./recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-directfb.bb
> > > ./recipes-qt/packagegroups/packagegroup-qte-toolchain-target.bb
> > > ./recipes-qt/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-qt4e.bb
> > > ./recipes-qt/packagegroups/packagegroup-qt-toolchain-target.bb
> > > ./recipes-qt/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-qt.bb
> > > ./recipes-sato/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-x11-sato.bb
> > > ./recipes-extended/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-lsb.bb
> > > ./recipes-extended/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-basic.bb
> > > $
> > >
> > > is it accurate to say that you can just as equivalently add the recipe
> > > file directly using, say, CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL? is there any
> > > functional difference between those two approaches?
> > >
> >   feeling a bit sheepish if this is the answer ... i notice that
> >
> > core-image.bbclass defines:
> >   PACKAGE_GROUP_nfs-server = "packagegroup-core-nfs-server"
> >
> > however, while there is no recipe file named
> > "packagegroup-core-nfs-server.bb", there is one named
> >
> > "packagegroup-core-nfs.bb", which contains:
> [...]

Now that PACKAGE_GROUP has finally made it into the manual (for 1.5) we've
tried to explain that it's not the same thing as a packagegroup. Hopefully it
will dispel some of the confusion.

We could look at renaming PACKAGE_GROUP to something else in 1.6 (perhaps to
IMAGE_FEATURE_PACKAGES or something like that?) if people think that it would
help.

Cheers,
Paul

--