From: Francois Beutin <beutinf@ensimag.grenoble-inp.fr>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Cc: matthieu.moy@grenoble-inp.fr,
	simon.rabourg@ensimag.grenoble-inp.fr,
	wiliam.duclot@ensimag.grenoble-inp.fr,
	antoine.queru@ensimag.grenoble-inp.fr
Subject: [Opinion gathering] Git remote whitelist/blacklist
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 16:21:44 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Hi everyone,

We (Ensimag students) plan to implement the
"remote whitelist/blacklist" feature described in the SoC 2016 ideas,
but first I would like to be sure we agree on what exactly this
feature would be, and that the community sees an interest in it.

The general idea is to add a way to prevent accidental push to the
wrong repository, we see two ways to do it:
First solution:
 - a whitelist: Git will accept a push to a repository in it
 - a blacklist: Git will refuse a push to a repository in it
 - a default policy

Second solution:
 - a default policy
 - a list of repository not following the default policy

The new options in config if we implement the first solution:

[remote]
	# List of repository that will be allowed/denied with
					# a whitelist/blacklist
	whitelisted = "http://git-hosting.org"
	blacklisted = "http://git-hosting2.org"

	# What is displayed when the user attempts a push on an
		# unauthorised repository? (this option overwrites
		# the default message)
	denymessage = "message"

	# What git should do if the user attempts a push on an
		# unauthorised repository (reject or warn and
		# ask the user)?
	denypolicy = reject(default)/warning

	# How should unknown repositories be treated?
	defaultpolicy = allow(default)/deny

Some concrete usage example:

 - A beginner is working on company code, to prevent him from
	accidentally pushing the code on a public repository, the
	company (or him) can do:
git config --global remote.defaultpolicy "deny"
git config --global remote.denymessage "Not the company's server!"
git config --global remote.denypolicy "reject"
git config --global remote.whitelisted "http://company-server.com"

 - A regular git user fears that he might accidentally push sensible
	code to a public repository he often uses for free-time
	projects, he can do:
git config remote.defaultpolicy "allow"	#not really needed
git config remote.denymessage "Are you sure it is the good server?"
git config remote.denypolicy "warning"
git config remote.blacklisted "http://github/personnalproject"

We would like to gather opinions about this before starting to
	implement it, is there any controversy? Do you prefer the
	first or second solution (or none)? Do you find the option's
	names accurate?