* lib/bb/tests/fetch.py still in use?
@ 2022-03-10 17:04 Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2022-03-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BitBake developer list

Greetings

lib/bb/tests/fetch.py still refers to cvs.handhelds.org which doesn't
exist any more, though it brings back fond memories.

Should the corresponding entries be removed or updated with working CVS
hosts?

Or can lib/bb/tests/fetch.py be removed if it's not used any more?

Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [bitbake-devel] lib/bb/tests/fetch.py still in use?
@ 2022-03-10 17:45 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-03-10 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker, BitBake developer list

On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 18:04 +0100, Michael Opdenacker via lists.openembedded.org
wrote:
> lib/bb/tests/fetch.py still refers to cvs.handhelds.org which doesn't
> exist any more, though it brings back fond memories.
>
> Should the corresponding entries be removed or updated with working CVS
> hosts?
>
> Or can lib/bb/tests/fetch.py be removed if it's not used any more?

I suspect you didn't look at what those test actually do. They're unittests
which test whether certain input to functions generates the expected output.

Those tests never actually access the urls, they just test the data out is
expected for given input data.

The tests in that file are very much definitely run on the autobuilder and are
some of the most comprehensive tests we have of any bitbake module so no, they
shouldn't be removed!

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [bitbake-devel] lib/bb/tests/fetch.py still in use?
@ 2022-03-10 17:57   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2022-03-10 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, BitBake developer list

Hi Richard,

On 3/10/22 18:45, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 18:04 +0100, Michael Opdenacker via lists.openembedded.org
> wrote:
>> lib/bb/tests/fetch.py still refers to cvs.handhelds.org which doesn't
>> exist any more, though it brings back fond memories.
>>
>> Should the corresponding entries be removed or updated with working CVS
>> hosts?
>>
>> Or can lib/bb/tests/fetch.py be removed if it's not used any more?
> I suspect you didn't look at what those test actually do. They're unittests
> which test whether certain input to functions generates the expected output.
>
> Those tests never actually access the urls, they just test the data out is
> expected for given input data.
>
> The tests in that file are very much definitely run on the autobuilder and are
> some of the most comprehensive tests we have of any bitbake module so no, they
> shouldn't be removed!

Thanks for the clarification. I lost my desire to remove stuff :)
Cheers
Michael.