On 12/19/2016 04:38 PM, sochin jiang wrote: > Mirroring using 'top' mode without backing file specified on the target can be success, > but end with a disaster. > > For example: > Migration can be success in this situation while the virtual machine on the destination > is no longer usable because of backing lost. > I think this is a premature policy decision. Even though the user can abuse it to lose data, I think there is still enough technical reason for why a user might have a valid use case for doing this (perhaps for creating incremental backups, where the user plans on re-chaining data back together using 'qemu-img rebase -u'), so I don't think we should forbid it at the qemu level. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org