On Apr 20, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Neil Brown wrote: > If you use 1.x metadata (e.g. 1.0), then this works nicely. > > mdadm --create /dev/md/foo --metadata 1.0 --level ..... > > This will store the name 'foo' in the metadata and when you assemble > the array, it will be called /dev/md/foo. > This will be a symlink to /dev/md125 or something like that, but you > don't need to care. I would prefer to see /dev/md/foo as an actual device special file, not a symlink, and no /dev/md125 at all. Additionally, /proc/mdstat output doesn't match /dev/md/foo, it matches /dev/md125, so if you need to figure out what raid device is /dev/md/foo so you can see its status in /proc/mdstat, then you have to dereference the /dev/md/foo symlink. This just highlights the fact that we haven't gotten past numbers as our primary way of referring to md devices. Kill the numbers, allow names to be a *sole* means of reference to an array. Otherwise, that lingering /dev/md125 just confuses the issue. -- Doug Ledford GPG KeyID: CFBFF194 http://people.redhat.com/dledford InfiniBand Specific RPMS http://people.redhat.com/dledford/Infiniband