From: "Frantisek Rysanek" <Frantisek.Rysanek@post.cz>
To: linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Cc: Michal Zatloukal <myxal.mxl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Building own DVB-T channel file from frequencies (w_scan issues)?
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 17:24:05 +0100	[thread overview]

On 4 Jan 2020 at 16:08, linux-media@vger.kernel.org wrote:

> ...just for the sake of completeness, t2scan seems to face some
> misunderstanding with my Mygica T230C2, w_scan2 works fine...
>
> [LOG SAMPLE of t2scan]
> Info: using DVB adapter auto detection.
>         /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 -> TERRESTRIAL "Silicon Labs
> Si2168": very good :-))
>
> Using TERRESTRIAL frontend (adapter /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)
> -_-_-_-_ Getting frontend capabilities-_-_-_-_
> main:2852: FATAL: FE_READ_STATUS failed: 121 Remote I/O error
> [/SAMPLE]
>
> Apparently, compared to w_scan and w_scan2, t2scan is more pedantic
> about checking the state of the tuner before starting its scan.
> And, I understand that these tuners have a fair share of their own HW
> quirks.
>
> I've already reported this to the author of t2scan.
>
> Frank

It took mighty-p, the author of t2scan, just a couple minutes to
respond. Amazing.

Apparently the check (and hence the error) can be suppressed by
commenting out two lines in the source code:

if (ioctl(frontend_fd, FE_READ_STATUS, &fe_status) == -1) {
	//cleanup();
	//fatal("FE_READ_STATUS failed: %d %s\n",errno, strerror(errno));
}

After that, t2scan works just fine.

The hardware is a T230C v2, kernel 5.4.6.
Just in case someone has comments :-)

Frank