On 18.07.2017 17:10, Eric Blake wrote: > On 07/18/2017 10:04 AM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote: >>> We should be consistent -- if we can't trust assert() to >>> be marked nonreturn, as it seems we can't, then we shouldn't >>> write new code that assumes it always is, even if today >>> it doesn't happen to bite us on the compiler/host combinations >>> we're testing right now. >> >> And there is also the problem when you compiles with CPPFLAGS+=-DNDEBUG >> some oldschool guys still have in their ~/.cshrc ;) > > We don't have problems with people defining NDEBUG in their environment; > such people would already hit at least: > > hw/scsi/mptsas.c:#ifdef NDEBUG > hw/scsi/mptsas.c:#error building with NDEBUG is not supported > > (maybe we should hoist that to osdep.h, though) Yes, please. Not every target is build with CONFIG_MPTSAS_SCSI_PCI so we should move that to a more central place. Thomas