From: "Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim" <dongsoo.kim@gmail.com>
To: Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@gmx.de>
Cc: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>,
Subject: Re: V4L-DVB Summit Day 1
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:06:36 +0900	[thread overview]

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
<g.liakhovetski@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
>> <g.liakhovetski@gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi Hans
>> >
>> > Thanks for keeping us updated. One comment:

>> > Just as Jinlu Yu noticed in his email, this doesn't reflect the real
>> > situation, I am afraid. You can use binning and skipping on the sensor to
>> > scale the image, and you can also use the bridge to do the scaling, as you
>> > say. Worth than that, there's also a case, where there _several_ ways to
>> > perform scaling on the sensor, among which one can freely choose, and the
>> > host can scale too. And indeed it makes sense to scale on the source to
>> > save the bandwidth and thus increase the framerate. So, what I'm currently
>> > doing on sh-mobile, I try to scale on the client - in the best possible
>> > way. And then use bridge scaling to provide the exact result.
>> >

>> Yes I do agree with you. And it is highly necessary to provide a clear
>> method which obviously indicates which device to use in scaling job.
>> When I use some application processors which provide camera
>> peripherals with scaler inside and external ISP attached, there is no
>> way to use both scaler features inside them. I just need to choose one
>> of them.
>
> Well, I don't necessarily agree, in fact, I do use both scaling engines in
> my sh setup. The argument is as mentioned above - bus usage and framerate
> optimisation. So, what I am doing is: I try to scale on the sensor as
> close as possible, and then scale further on the host (SoC). This works
> well, only calculations are not very trivial. But you only have to perform
> them once during setup, so, it's not time-critical. Might be worth
> implementing such calculations somewhere centrally to reduce error chances
> in specific drivers. Same with cropping.

I think that is a good approach. And considering the image quality, I
should make bypass the scaler when user is requesting the exact
resolution supported by the external camera ISP. Because some of
camera interface embedded scalers are very poor in image quality and
performance thus they may reduce in framerate as well. So, user can
choose "with scaler" or "without scaler".
Cheers,

Nate

--
=